At Annapolis Royal - The Andersons at one - CycleBlaze

June 27, 1989

At Annapolis Royal

The day began unluckily, with a surprise rainstorm that arrived in the middle of the night.  With typical foresight, we had not put up the rainfly - so I leaped out, covered the tent, bagged our bags, and returned to safety before it began to really pour.  It continued to come down for much of the night.  Since in my haste I hadn't staked down the fly it was only partly effective, so some of our stuff got a bit wet.  Fortunately the campground had a laundromat, so we made a trip to the dryer the first task of the morning.

The major piece of bad news for the day though was that Rachael reinjured the abdominal muscles she had injured in her fall back in the White Mountains.  She was in enough pain that we decided to stay in Annapolis Royal for the day and seek out a doctor for an opinion.  We biked the three miles back to town and arrived just about the time the only breakfast place was opening up.  After an OK but uninspiring meal we biked uptown to the hospital, where we were referred across the street to a physician.  Rachael was diagnosed as having strained muscles and was given anti-inflammatory medication and advice to apply heat - but he didn't think anything else was required once the pain eased off.

From the doctor's office we proceeded to the druggists and bought a tube of heat ointment; and, unfortunately, a roll of adhesive plaster to wrap Rachael's ribs with.  Beyond that, there wasn't too much other excitement to the day.  We lounged around Fort Anne park most of the day, reading, napping and playing cribbage, with brief forays into town to browse and eat.  For lunch we isited a deli, I having a Jarlsburg and salami sandwich and Rachael a skimpy order of turkey noodle soup; and bland ham sandwiches - very white bread, one thin slice of ham,  one piece of lettuce and some mustard.  Bleah.  We both felt gypped.

We spent the evening at a bed and breakfast right in town - the Turret.  It was a fabulous place, as it turned out.  Rachael gets to describe the breakfast in tomorrow's entry; but the roms were large, comfortable and elegant.  The main entertainment for the night proved to be removing Rachael's tape job.  It was a very slow, painstaking and painful process.  We both agreed that the tape package should have been accompanied by a warning label.

Annapolis Harbor. I’m so sorry I didn’t think to take a picture or Rachael wrapped in adhesive plaster though.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 5 miles (8 km)
Total: 626 miles (1,007 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0