Annapolis Royal to Port Williams - The Andersons at one - CycleBlaze

June 28, 1989

Annapolis Royal to Port Williams

(Rachael) I woke up wondering how my injury was going to feel and whether or not I would be able to bike.  It seemed quite a bit better.  After getting our stuff together and making ourselves presentable for breakfast, we headed downstairs where a wonderful breakfast was waiting for us.  We had fresh strawberries, coffee, juice, cereal, raisin bran muffins, eggs, very lean bacon and home fries.  Everything was delicious.  We also enjoyed visiting with the husband and wife who owned the place.  They were of English descent (I think) and talking with them showed us another perspective of Nova Scotia and its people.  In their opinion, the Acadians have become well blended with the other cultures in the province, at least in this area.

When it came time to leave, I was a bit apprehensive over the fact that we didn't have enough cash to pay the bill and would be forced to wait in town for a bank to open.  Fortunately the host had enough money to cash a travelers check.  

After getting our bikes loaded up we headed off, not knowing how far we might get because of my injury.  For the first day since arriving in Nova Scotia we had strong tailwinds, flat terrain and blue skies.  It was exhilarating.  My ribs didn't bother me at all and we made great time.  We traveled mostly on quiet roads through lush farmland.  We stopped briefly after 15 miles in Bridgeton to look for tubes and patches, and then continued on to Kingston, 25 miles further on.  We stopped there to get pop and then went a few more miles to a provincial park.  As we started to play cribbage the rain started and we moved to a covered picnic table.

After the rain stopped we headed off again.  Soon it started raining lightly once more.  After continuing for another eight or nine miles in the rain we spotted a small diner and stopped in for a break from the weather.  We ordered drinks and an order of fries to share.  I managed to spill almost my whole drink.

After another 20 or 25 minutes it looked as though the rain had almost stopped so we started biking again.  We made it another five or six miles before it started raining harder.  We pulled off by a closed restaurant with an overhang, and started playing cribbage.  Soon, thunder and lightning broke out and then the torrential rains hit.  Scott went around the corner to see if there was a more sheltered spot, and someone saw him and motioned us to come inside.  The couple inside were getting ready for the grand opening of their new pizzeria on the next day.  The woman spoke very little English but was very hospitable.  The lightning seemed very close by and we were glad to not be out in it.

We sat an played cribbage in the new restaurant for about an hour.  Finally the rains almost stopped so we decided to head out again before the traffic got any worse.  It was already getting heavy, as by now it was nearly 4 PM.  Because of the traffic we rode mostly on the gravelly shoulder.  Kentville was five or six miles away, but it seemed much further because of the conditions.  By the time we reached the bed and breakfast we planned to spend the night a we were very wet and tired. 

In Kentville, and still smiling!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Unfortunately the B&B didn't have any vacancies.  Scott phoned another one, in Port Williams, six more miles away.  They gave us directions as well as expressing sympathy for our plight over the phone.  We were son out of the traffic and on our way.  When we reached Port Williams we were glad we hadn't gotten a room at the first place anyway because its owner seemed unfriendly and these people were much warmer.  After getting our things put away and washing the mud off our legs, we headed down to the convenience store.  They had a lunch counter, so we ordered some sandwiches and a donut for dinner.

After eating, Scott called Pat Mossholder back in Salem to see how things were going back home.  He received some shocking news about work - Kirby Shelton (one of our data administrators, who was only about 40) died of a heart attack on the previous Sunday.  His death was very sudden and had a sobering affect on Scott.  We headed back to our inn and took showers, read for awhile, and then Scott gave me a wonderful backrub.

Today's ride: 66 miles (106 km)
Total: 692 miles (1,114 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Mike AylingTravellers checks, another blast from the past!
Mike
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Mike AylingIsn’t that the truth! I love looking back at these old journals and being reminded of how it used to be.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Kirsten KaarsooTo Scott AndersonFunny I was going to say the same thing about the traveller's cheques.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago