Tourists in Málaga - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

March 23, 2022

Tourists in Málaga

The forecast suggested a dry patch from late morning to mid-afternoon so, despite both feeling pretty tired still, we set off to explore some of Malaga's tourist attractions, namely the Castillo de Gibralfaro and the Alcazaba which are both just a short walk from our digs, although the walk up the hill to the Castillo was stiff work.  The Castillo de Gibralfaro is on top of a hill and overlooks Málaga city and the Mediterranean Sea.  It has been the site of fortifications since the Phoenician times, but the location was properly fortified in the 10th Century by the Moors. In the 15th century, it was connected by a walled corridor to the Alcazaba of Málaga.  Alcazaba is a corruption of the Arabic al-qasbah meaning "citadel" and was built by the Moors in the early 11th century.  The Castillo was built to protect it about three hundred years later and is perched on top of a hill above it.

A view of the bull fighting arena ("La plaza de Toros La Malagueta") on the walk up to the castillo. I have never been to a bull fight and probably never will but the sight of it held me in a morbid fascination, much in the same way as seeing old battle fields does.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Kathleen JonesI went to a bullfight in Madrid years and years ago. I had a general idea of what went on but still I found it pretty disturbing. It’s been pretty glorified and Hemingwayed (sp?) so I understand the morbid fascination. However, I think you’re okay taking a miss.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Still a long way to the top.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The castillo wasn't particularly interesting but it gave us some good views over the city.   The walk up to it was probably more important than seeing the castle because it gave us the chance to get some exercise after sitting on our behinds for the last few days.

The stiff flags and steely skies tell the weather story.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One nice element of the castillo were the many trees planted within its walls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Of course there were a few birds around but when I took out my camera I realised I had forgotten to charge its battery. Thankfully these two Yellow-legged Gulls (Larus michahellis) posed comfortably within cellphone camera reach.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Then it was a quadriceps-testing walk down the hill to the Alcazaba.  In contrast to the castillo it was quite picturesque, almost chocolate-boxy.

The exterior walls of the Alcazaba.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some of the little drainage canals that run through the Alcazaba.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 2
Jean-Marc StrydomI don't know why but I am attracted to domed roofs.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Bits of Roman ruins used as part of the Alcazaba's construction.
Heart 2 Comment 0



Next to the Alcazaba lies the ruins of a small Roman theatre.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Málaga is an unavoidably tourist oriented city and we are spending our time here at the heart of the tourist area.  When in Rome etc.  So we settled down in a tourist trap for a Menu del Dia - nice soup, dodgy paella and factory-made desert.  At least it gave us a feel for the cost of a meal and drinks in Spain (35 Euros for three courses plus two drinks each for two people which isn't too bad at all).

So-so paella. I think it is best to avoid the tourist-focused nosh.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After returning to our digs I popped into the bicycle store located very conveniently only fifty meters away to buy some chain lube.  Then I had an unsuccessful attempt at find a cheap data SIM card.  Apparently a transport strike has meant that the local 'phone shops only have data bundles starting from 45GB for 30 Euros while we want something just to tide us over between towns.  To add to that, the local Decathlon is basically a hole-in-the-wall and doesn't stock gas cylinders.  Lot's of walking and nothing to show for it.  Tomorrow morning I will assemble the bicycles so we can cycle off to a Decathlon a few kilometers away and hopefully find a mobile phone shop with smaller data bundles in stock.

Despite the less than successful shopping, we managed to achieve a lot more than I thought we would today.  Right now though we are pretty knackered and Leigh is mumbling something about skipping supper and heading to bed.  But I think I still have enough energy to wash a chorizo sandwich down with a small beer.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0