Sevilla - Palm Sunday - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

April 10, 2022

Sevilla - Palm Sunday

Today was the start of Semana Santa, or Holy Week.  We managed to catch two of the processions this afternoon but the crowds made it very difficult.  The first procession we got near its start was a lot easier and we were able to get nice and close.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The second was a bit more difficult and eventually we just gave up and went back to our digs.

A rather poor shot of the second float.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We managed to get close to the band but that was as good as it got.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Semana Santa is a time to get dressed up and be seen.  We realised we, as cycle tourists usually are, were slightly under dressed when we noticed the touts weren't trying to attract us into the many restaurants and bars along the route.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Thankfully, two more of the processions would pass right by our digs later in the evening.  The first one we stood in the street for more than an hour before it arrived but it was worth it.  We then went back to make supper but while we were eating we noticed that there was still more to that procession.

The crowds were intense.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The second float in the procession that arrived while we were eating supper.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The second was later, after eleven o'clock, or so we thought.  We stood out in the street for another hour but didn't regret it at all.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We considered waiting for this fraternity's second float but in the end we headed to bed.  It eventually came past sometime after one o'clock so it was probably a good call because it has been a long day.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0