Montserrat - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2022

Montserrat

We were on the road by seven this morning in a hope to beat the heat.  A long downhill for the first few kilometers before we started climbing mostly following the Camino Catalan.  Just into the climb we had to cross the motorway.  The only route was a steep path of very loose gravel.  Not rideable and not even pushable.  We unloaded the bicycles and carried everything to the top.

The picture doesn't do the slope justice.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Scott AndersonLooks like a lovely way to start the day.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jean-Marc StrydomIt could only get better... and it did
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Then it was a slow climb up to Montserrat, over eight hundred meters.  Nothing too bad although there was quite a bit in excess of ten percent.  The views compensated for anything the road could throw at us.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Approaching the monastery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Montserrat is the most touristy place we have been to in a while.  We have been told the the busloads disappear in the afternoon and that seems to be the case.  It is also a popular area for hiking and mountain climbing and we have seen lots of hikers, many with climbing equipment on their backs.

We are spending the next two nights in the simple campsite up the hill about five hundred meters south of the monastery complex.  It is quite peaceful, tucked away from the tourist hordes, but all the noises from the monastery, the funicular trains and the voices of the crowds seem to gather here.   We have a lovely shaded and sheltered spot away from the few other campers where we can put our feet up.  It's our first rest day in seventeen days so a relaxing break is what we need.

Home for the next two nights.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 2,742 km (1,703 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0