Day 73: Montreal - One - Grampies Iberian Inquisition Spring 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 13, 2023

Day 73: Montreal - One

Sabrina provided a good explanation of the Montreal Portuguese Chicken  puzzle. The puzzle is that Montreal is covered with chicken BBQ places designated Portuguese, while we really could not find this kind of thing in actual Portugal. The answer is that there are a lot of food products in North America that are somehow linked to a foreign country, but which really can not be found like that in the foreign place. The easiest example would be pizza such as New York pizza, which can not really be found in Italy.  And General Tso's chicken is a chinese dish that can not be found in China. According to Wikipedia, "although the dish was named after Zuo Zongtang (Tso Tsung-t'ang) (1812–1885), a Qing dynasty statesman and military leader from Hunan Province, he could not have eaten the dish or known of it. The dish is found neither in Changsha, the capital of Hunan Province, nor in Xiangyin County, where Zuo was born. Zuo's descendants living in Xiangyin County said that they had never heard of such a dish."

Probably the General Tso dish was invented by Chinese immigrants to New York, based on chinese sauce principles. Similarly, the Portuguese chicken in Montreal comes from Portuguese immigrants, no doubt based on something they saw back home. The Montreal restaurants add to this genuine pastel de nata, and decorate with Barcelos chickens.

Listening to me rant about all this, Sabrina went out and got an order of Portuguese chicken from Aquinta, restaurant that the family here has been patronizing for ages, thinking nothing of it. The order included pastel de nata, which Dodie and I rate as full Portugal quality. They also  do offer a lot of squid and octopus and sausage, all of which is recognizable from actual Portugal.

Montreal Portuguese chicken
Heart 0 Comment 0
Montreal Pastel de Nata. These were $2.50 each. In Porto they are .51 euros at MiniPreco and 1.20 euros at a downtown bakery.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The kind of frigid hell that we found in Montreal in March has turned into a garden paradise, with the stores stuffed with bedding plants. Birds are out in abundance too, such as those below:

This cardinal already found a wasp for lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It's also time to get all available bikes into shape for the season. I was pleased to find that nine year old Joseph can now be  real help with bike mechanics. He has good manual dextrerity, and understood fully as we disassembled a rim brake pad, swapping the wide and the thin spacer along the pad shaft.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
In this shot, Joe is tightening the caliper spring on one side. He went and found the correct screwdriver, and did it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We went out looking for a cable cutter, and somehow got this!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraThat was his plan all along Steve. Rope Grampie into some bike maintenance, and ride to the ice-cream shop!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0