Day 25: Lagos to Vilamoura - Grampies Iberian Inquisition Spring 2023 - CycleBlaze

March 26, 2023

Day 25: Lagos to Vilamoura

Because of the short day yesterday, we had lots of time to read other blogs and to contemplate the pros and cons of following EV 1, and to what extent. Our thinking was affected by some  basic facts. Fact one was the need to make it to Vilamoura, not only because of a booking but also to make sure that in turn we make it to Seville, where we had to book well in advance because of Semana Santa. Fact two is that we are opposed to pushing on sand or having our bikes jarred apart by too rough roads. And fact three, the big one, is that the distance to Vilamoura on EV 1 is about 90 km, and even if less sick and injured than we are, that is too far, even on paved roads.

Our response was to just casually ask the no nonsense Google Maps (vs EV, or algorithms that might secretly want you to go see some great beach, or church, or something), how to get to Vilamoura.  Well duh, it replied, N125! and it's final offer? 65 km.  

Here is the difference:

EV1 in fat red, Google Maps in thin green.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In practice, we took the red right off the bat, got ticked off, and switched to green for most of the remainder, ending with 72 kms..

Heart 0 Comment 0

As instructed by Rick Steves, we went inside the old wall of Lagos for our look around. We found a closed church, and  very pleasant walking street, with good postcards for Dodie to buy. There was also a cork store, where I got to ask a question that had been bugging me: Since cork bark is usually only about an inch thick, how do "corks" of about 2 1/2 inches get punched out of it? The answer is that the barks are cooked and compressed into blocks, then sliced to the correct thickness before the corks are punched out. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Churches closed on Sunday. Sometimes there is not enough clergy to hold services in every place every time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The main shopping street in Lagos.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Few people are about this early.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There were also lots of street vendors of cork items by the waterside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A raw bark, and on the wall some compressed shapes.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Back out along the waterfront, we found even more cork product vendors. There were also many reps for offshore boat cruises. The Classens took a cruise like this, and got great shots of rock formations.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Not sure of the vintage or purpose of this ship, but it looks great in the harbour.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tour vendors along the waterfront.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Not many customers right now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We once had an algebra teacher that looked just like this.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltBlack beak... Little egret!

https://ebird.org/species/litegr
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauWas your algebra teacher nice or mean? That look could go either way. I think I've seen a famous artist who looked like that. His name was Andy Warhol.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Gregory GarceauWe still remember him fondly. He was a character, but a sweetie with our class. The resemblance lies in the beak and the sweep of the hair.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We had been noticing unique chimneys in past days, but only now have recognized them as a special art form.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
So many chimneys, once you begin to look at them!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Outside of Lagos, we fell once again for the allure of EV1. I mean, we are here to see something, right? Well yes, but with EV 1 you see mostly sand and gravel!

EV 1
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh, maybe we were not really on EV1, the real EV 1 has, yes, more sand and gravel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Come now!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We did see a multiple stork nest area. Storks are fun.
Heart 2 Comment 0
An overview of Portimao.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took to the highway, N125. Even on a  bridge, such as this, the wide lane held up.

Heart 1 Comment 0

All along the way were little fruit stands, mostly selling oranges. The prices was the same at all - 3 sacks for 5 euros.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

A lot of billboard advertising went into a sand sculpture park. This long shot gives and idea of what it was like behind its fence.

A peek inside the sand sculpture park..
Heart 0 Comment 0

We continued on the highway for dozens of kms. At one point I raised the camera just to document how calm and boring this was.

Kms of mostly car dealers
Heart 0 Comment 0

Finally we came to the  point designated for the turn  off the highway.  Everything was fine, for a short bit...

Oh, Come on!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kms of this!
Heart 0 Comment 0
At least there were some more chimneys to look at.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We were getting kind of close, but now we were passing by kms of golf courses. Some tried impressive entrances, something like in Mexico.

Heart 0 Comment 0
We substituted kms of sand for kms of swank boulevard.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Vilamoura, our destination, had a lot of big hotels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Is this one ours?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nope, this one!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had not deliberately chosen such a large and elaborate hotel, it was simply what was available.  We wanted to be in this place to meet up with Josh's friends, the Brown's.  They had kindly agreed to be the receiving point for a new bike charger, sent from Canada. The previous one had fried for thoughtlessly not being  220V compatible!

Our hotel inner courtyard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thanks Allison, Trevor, and little Zander.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Zander easily recognized a good Grampies moment.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 955 km (593 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0