We have arrived in Paris - Wake up, Maggie, I think it's time to get back on tour - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2019

We have arrived in Paris

fun with time zones

We both fell right asleep last night after a busy day of packing, getting some euros, organizing for the house sitter, bike packing and a thousand other bits and pieces. Always interesting to discover later the missing piece.  We wonder  what it will be ??  Scott was sure to include three new high quality tubes in the bike repair kit that we hope will not be needed but after our experience patching tubes on our last tour, we are glad to have stocked up. The last detail before going to bed was starting a new Cycleblaze Journal and sending out the blog address so that friends and family could follow along. If you are reading this, we hope that you will also enjoy the adventure.

The previous day Scott planted an annual vegetable garden and hooked up the watering system. With some luck we will return home to thriving tomato plants, leeks and carrots. We would normally wait and start planting when we returned, but the forecasted weather in Vancouver indicates that summer may start in early May. Enjoy!  

Wait till you see the "after" picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0

By 6 am we were ready to get up and get going with a booked taxi arriving to take us to the airport at  7:15. The taxi was right on time. We arrived at the airport, checked the bags and were through security by 08:00. The traffic and the systems at YVR were very efficient today. But you just never know. Our flight to Montreal did not leave for over an hour but the time went quickly and it was nice not to stress. We had a lengthy layover in Montreal before our overnight flight to Paris, but nothing that a couple of cocktails couldn't make manageable!  We  arrived in Paris at 09:30 local time- more than a bit tired but ready for adventure!  We are unfamiliar  with Paris  having not been here since our honeymoon almost 32 years ago! It will be interesting to see how things have changed.  It rained alot from what we remember...

Our first goal was to find the trains which  turned out to be a good long walk from the Air Canada terminal. The train system from the airport is very efficient (by fluke we caught the non-stop to Paris) and were at our stop in no time. We are staying in the Montparnasse area of Paris, near the regional train stop Denfert-Rochereau.  Moving all our gear without a cart is hard. Scott has two hockey bags with all the panniers and assorted other items and Pat pulls the two suitcases with bikes.  As we left the train station it started to rain.  Ahhh, the  Paris we remembered! We had planned to take  a taxi from the station to our Airbnb even though it is only a few blocks walk according to our instructions.  At the taxi queue at the station, the front guy says it is a "petite" distance and declines the trip. "Not possible," he says. We wait under a bus shelter until the rain passes and begin the short but hard walk. This stuff moves much easier on a cart and smooth marble floors at the airport.

We found our studio apartment, albeit slightly damp, where we will be staying for the next three nights. Our body clocks were going with Vancouver time - now 3:30 am and we both fell asleep for four hours, waking at around 4 pm local time. This seemed perfect as the restaurants would open for dinner in about three hours, so we headed out for our first evening in Paris. We wandered the streets and picked up some things for breakfast. We marvelled at the French way of life- passing many small butchers, bakers, vegetable stands, cheese and wine shops. Lots of people out shopping for their evening meal ingredients. This is how we want to live. 

Cheese shops in France. So many choices. So good.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fresh berries and other wonderful delights.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At 2 euros each and 3 for 5 euros, it will be a pricey pie. I get mine for free at home from the back lane.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Of course we were the first customers in the restaurant for dinner but all the restaurants were full along  Rue Daguerre  when we returned home. Looks like lots of interesting places for dinner tomorrow. Needless to say,  it was an early night.

The popular Rue Daguerre. Just around the corner from our apartment. Full of small food shops and interesting restaurants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Brad SharpGreat to be invited along on another of your interesting cycling trips.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Tricia GrahamGreat to have another journal to follow. I particularly enjoyed reading about you seeing Paris through fresh eyes. What is it about Vancouver nearly all the Canadians whose journals I read come from Vancouver it near by? It makes us feel we need to visit it sometime
Keep safe
Tricia
Reply to this comment
4 years ago