La Buque to Les Eyzies-de-Tayac to Sarlat-la-Canéda - Wake up, Maggie, I think it's time to get back on tour - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2019

La Buque to Les Eyzies-de-Tayac to Sarlat-la-Canéda

A great way to celebrate a birthday!

La Buque is not a famous tourist town so choices of hotels and restaurants are limited. The Hotel Paris breakfast offering looked minimal for the price so we set off to the local Intermarche to buy bananas and yogurt. They had seating outside in the sun in front of a restaurant that did not offer petit déjeuner but made very good coffee. It was a great start to the day as temperatures began to warm up after 10 am.

Today's ride was a two parter. First part was just over ten kms to Les Eyzies-de-Tayac-Sireuil where we dropped our panniers at the hotel and the second part was an additional 50 kms round trip to Sarlat-la-Canéda. 

Scott so wanted to do this but we just could not fit the stop in at the beginning of our day. It looks like you are harnessed and then tethered to an overhead track.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Iris alley we called this, so beautiful.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The ride began right along side the Vézère river and the road soon turned to a solid compressed dirt surface and then back to asphalt. It was a peaceful rural ride past farms with cows and geese.

Goose in the field. Popular dish along with duck in the towns in the Dordogne region.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Curious cows living the good life in the field.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The things you would miss at the side of the road unless you are walking or riding. Thinking that this might be a musical bear.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Great rock formations in Les Eyzies de Tayac. The area includes many examples of Cro-Magnon rock shelters dating as far back as 40k years.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rocks and caves above Les Eyzies de Tayac.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived at Hostellerie du Passeur and they had our room ready. With a much lighter load (it is such a delight to ride without the weight on the bike) we headed toward Sarlat-la-Canéda  with a stop along the way at the village of Meyrals.

On our ride to Sarlat, mares tails above Pat indicate a change in the weather.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The origins of the church in Meyrals date back to the 1400's.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We found route D25 a bit hilly with a number of fast downhills followed by repeated climbs. We arrived in Sarlat-la-Canéda around 3pm which was a bad time as restaurants were now closed until dinner. We did not starve as the patisseries had lots of  sandwiches and other goodies. We sat on the steps of a local square to each our lunch and considered our route home. We chose the D6 and after an initial climb out of Sarlat-la-Canéda we enjoyed many long twisty turny downhills. It was a fast and fun ride back to Ezyies.

Pat rests on the golden geese in Sarlat-la-Canéda
Heart 1 Comment 0
Foie gras can be an expensive delicacy from the Dordogne region. Many stores in Sarlat are selling foie gras, pâtés and truffle products.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great detail on this building that dates back to the mid 1500"s. Sarlat has preserved the picturesque streets and this medieval town is a very popular place to visit.
Heart 1 Comment 0

In Sarlat, Scott bought a 75 cl bottle of artisan brewed beer from Périgord near Sarlat. After finishing our ride he enjoyed this nice IPA at a picnic table on the river bank. Pat was happy with a can of European lager.  A great way to finish off today's ride.

Old man and the beer. Nice IPA to celebrate my b'day.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonCheers! Wish I could share that one with you.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Scott's birthday dinner was at restaurant La Maison, just around the corner from our hotel. He had a duck dish with foie gras and Pat, a truffle pasta. It was a wonderful ride and dinner that will be remembered as a most memorable birthday day!

Pat brought this card with her from home. So special.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 278 km (173 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0