Cahors to Saint-Cirq-Lapopie - Wake up, Maggie, I think it's time to get back on tour - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2019

Cahors to Saint-Cirq-Lapopie

Not long, but a spectactular ride

Very low cloud and foggy conditions as we got going today. Scott finished the last two nespresso capsules before our breakfast arrived through the connecting side door right on schedule at 09:00 hours.

When we arrived yesterday we were presented with two pieces of paper listing all the potential items we may have for our breakfast and we were two pick two items from one catagory and one from another, complete and return sometime in the evening. This was a first and a great way to have exactly what you would like  to have for breakfast. Pat selected a smoothie, eggs and a hot chocolate and Scott selected a smoothie, musli and cheese with bread. All the food arrived beautifully presented on a tray at the breakfast table in our own suite. We felt like royalty.

Our host brought us this beautiful and tasty breakfast.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A unique kitchen gadget and must have for anyone who loves soft boiled eggs. It takes the top off the egg cleanly. Yes, a knife would do it too, but this is much more elegant.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Voila!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride was a relatively short 32 kilometers but Scott thought it was the best day. Not an early start because it was still cool and  we really like to take our time and enjoy the B&B atmosphere.

Shortly after ten o'clock, absolutely stuffed we headed on our way out of town on quite busy roads until we were able to turn onto some back roads. This route began to climb as we were riding up the high bank side of the Lot from where we rewarded with great views. We could see the level highway on the other side of the river and Pat questioned the route designer as to why he had not picked that nice flat road across the river?   He responded, "cars use that road."  We saw a total of four cars go by as we admired the beauty of the Lot from our elevated perch.

Still cool in the morning but a great road outside of Cahors.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More morning views of the Lot.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Lot.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More Lot.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sun is just starting to come out. A geat balcony road with some sections cut deep into the rock.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Some pretty flowers growing out of rocks at the side of the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cliffs and caves across the river.
Heart 3 Comment 0

As a complete side note, I want to say, we are riding along  seldom used, somewhat remote roads. We stop frequently at the sides of the roads to take  in views and we never see any illegally  dumped bags of trash. This area is spotless, not a tossed cup, old construction material or plastic bag to  be found along the roadways or down by the river. We find this amazing after our last ride through Corsica where you can be overwhelmed by the beauty and the trash at the same time.

Got an old bike frame and some beer cans? This wind powered fixed gear was cool. Just the wheels turned - not the cranks.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We rode into Vers for our morning coffee stop passing a Logis hotel and to a small patisserie where we purchased the last two pain au raisons. We enquired about a coffee shop and were told that the hotel back on the corner was the only place in town. So back we went and sat in the sun on a lovely patio and enjoyed our coffee stop. We watched the lunch crowd arrive and the meals being served.  It  all looked delicious, but we decided to carry on and have a picnic later. We stopped 10kms  further down the road at Bouzies and had a great spot right on the river for our lunch.

Bouzies is a busy village reached by a single lane bridge crosssing the Lot with a number of hotels and opportunities to rent boats or take river tours. The season is just beginning so it is fairly quiet. 

Rock overhang and small tunnel just before the bridge at Bouzies. These are great road features.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The single lane suspension bridge to cross from the north to the south side of the Lot at Bouzies.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barely enough room for a larger vehicle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From the bridge looking back toward the tunnel there is a neat brick house made into the rocks.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonThis is the Defile des Anglais, the English house - a fortified chateau built in the 11th and 12th centuries. Great photo of it!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Saint Leodegar Church of Bouzies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many impressive stained glass windows inside the Saint Leodegar Church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch stop at Bouzies, Nice warm day and a food truck,too!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Boat tours on the Lot based out of Bouzies. The boat runs up to Saint-Cirq-Lapopie and would provide some good views from down on the water.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After lunch we needed to decide if we should  cross the bridge and return to the main road for the last seven kilometres to St. Circ Lappopie or take a shorter five kilometre road up onto the high river bank along a back road. Pat says "Scott,  your choice". No brainer -- we are climbing. Really not that high, less than 200 metres. The old road has amazing river views and even Pat agreed that it was the right decision.

This road had many great look outs that provided some great views and almost no cars!
Heart 3 Comment 0
More views from above.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The amazing and very beautiful Lot River. It is a really great place to ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pat taking the high road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our first view of Saint-Cirq-Lapopie. The big rock on the right is an easy climb to the top and allows for some great views.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There are about160 villages in France that belong to the "Most beautiful villages in France" club but in 2012 there was television show that rated Saint-Cirq-Lapopie the best village in France. Now people flock to this village but it was really quite quiet in late May.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We turned a corner and Saint-Cirq-Lapopie came into view. Spectacular!! Of course as it is also in the "les plus beau villages of France" club but some have told us it is the top of the list.....THE most beautiful. The villages in this group that we have visited previously have been  all been very pretty but it is easy to see why Saint-Cirq-Lapopie is special for sure. It is a steep hill village with many narrow alleys, beautifully maintained very old homes and buildings. And there is a 100 metre high rock at the edge of town that you can walk up and take in a panoramic view of all the surrounding countryside. To cap it all off, the sun is out!

The old buildings in the village are in very good condition and quite beautiful with their high sloped roofs and dormers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
View of the main square of Saint-Cirq-Lapopie from above on the high rock. Our hotel is on the left with all the white umbrellas.
Heart 4 Comment 0
View of the surrounding country as seen from the cliff high above at Saint-Cirq-Lapopie.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
ann and steve maher-wearyWill be riding to Bouzies tomorrow!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 410 km (255 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonWhat a great gallery today! You were lucky with the light this afternoon. Jacquie Gaudet was just here a few days too, biking the other direction. He two of you are really making us want to visit this region again.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a beautiful place! We e been there twice several years ago and plan to go back next year.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago