A day in Les Eyzies de Tayac - Wake up, Maggie, I think it's time to get back on tour - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2019

A day in Les Eyzies de Tayac

Rained out

We woke up this morning to a pretty soggy mess just like the weather forecast predicted. The weather forecasting seems to be quite accurate here as compared to our experiences at home. Unfortunately, our planned ride to Village de la Madelene, La Roque Saint-Christophe and Grotte de Rouffignac had to be cancelled due to the rain. Pat was thinking a day off anyway in Eyzies would be good.

We spent the morning catching up on planning, emails and other communications back home. Scott would search weather websites hoping for improvements but it just kept raining. Worst of all, the hotel had bad wifi so even updating the blog was an issue.

The local museum, Musee National de Prehistoire, looked interesting and reopenned at 2 pm for the afternoon. It was not busy and a good way to spend a rainy afternoon. The exhibits are well done and provided an interesting look at life 15k to 40k years ago. Hard to get your head around that when you consider the speed at which we humans are destroying our environment today.

We returned to the hotel in the rain and began to gather information on what the weather would be the next day. All indications suggested that the following day would also be very rainy. As a result, we thought it would be prudent to find a good plan B to get us to Goujounac. No train or buses - a taxi would be the only solution. With the assistance of the hotel manager we booked a ride for 1:30 to Goujounac. So if the weather did not improve, we could take a taxi. This is certainly a time when booking your next night stay in advance does not necessarily work in your favour. We need to keep on track one way or another.

Overall, it was a bit of a lackluster day but when you tour they may not all be steller. I don't think I even have a picture to share today!  Imagine grey and wet.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0