A day in Albi - Wake up, Maggie, I think it's time to get back on tour - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2019

A day in Albi

Full of challenges

You would think a day off would be a stress free recovery day but not so. On the bright side, the tour planner organized the layover in Albi on a full rain day.  Perfect timing so we had no transit issues today, just mainly accommodation problems.

We booked a   very nice apartment in Albi. Nice space and excellent location but the systems were very poor. Let me explain.

The Wifi system was a cool go anywhere box that I have read about but we have not used before. We tried and tried and tried to connect. Turned it off and on again - that always works. Nada. We were connected but no internet.

Pat burned up her small prepaid cell phone amount trying to resolve the issue with the host.  "Just plug the box into the wall electrical outlet," we are told. "There is no password it just connects automatically."  Not for us it doesn't.  A cell phone data plan is starting to have some appeal.

The box is supplied by Orange, the biggest cellphone service provider in France. Scott recalled seeing a store on the way into town, so we packed up the box and headed out to ask them what was wrong. Life without wifi is no life at all. 

On the way, we came across an SFR store, so we decided to top up Pat's cell phone account at the same time.  But, it seemed that the basic plan we bought may  be through a re-seller of cell service and "rechargements" must be purchased at "Tabac" stores. Ok, lots of those stores around.

Next stop Orange. The problem was quickly diagnosed as a "sim card" issue. New sim card installed and it's time for some breakfast. We had a great location with a large market full of great food right across the street. We bought bananas, yogurt, cereal and bread as well as a gourmet pre-made dinner. 

Back home, wifi working and breakfast done we decided to figure out the washing machine. Appliances in a foreign land are never straight forward for the North American brain. But after pushing all the buttons and turning all the knobs several times, Scott discovered that we left the latch undone on the drum. Pushed start again and soon the water was running and the washing machine was humming along. All is good.

Then everything stopped!  No lights, no heat, no washing machine - no  power.  Did we blow a fuse? Ahh at least we have wifi as the little box must have a battery. But we needed to text the host so we needed a rechargement of Pat's phone.  Scott ran over to the Tabac and bought a 5 euro top up.  We then discovered that our key to the front door is a numeric push pad and needs electrical power. It no longer worked- if we both go out we cannot get back into our nicely appointed, well located apartment. 

But we have wifi. Let's recharge Pat's phone and text the host some more. Nothing is easy.  We cannot  make the rechargement work. Back to the  Tabac store for some assistance. Pat returned to our dark, cold, gloomy home and started sending texts. No replies. Is the phone working? Are we being ignored?  After a couple hours we decided to leave a window open and go to the nearby tourist office and ask them to phone the host.  They  called but got no answer. Another message is left. 

We headed back, climbed through the window and hurrah the power is on, our prayers have been answered. Did I say we went to the big church in Albi?!?  And then it all stopped again - the lights, the heat, the washing machine. We must not be living right.

Well c'est dommage. It's not raining, we decided to ride to the train station and figure out the train to  Carcassonne. Oh, I haven't mentioned - we decided to scrub the Tarn route primarily due to the variable weather forecast and will head further South to the Mediterranean and cut  across  the Languedoc region en route to our stay near Gordes.

More unanswered texts. We explored a bit more of Albi and Pat's phone chimed. We are told the power is on. We were close by, so Scott rode back to check. No it isn't. We are now told that her brother will come by. When? No answer. Cell phone plan chimed, "you have less than 2 euros of time left". We've used up the entire top-up texting our host!!

Finally, the host's brother came by and showed Scott a box of breakers in the courtyard and the one master that needed resetting like a big GFC. Scott ended up doing this on his own a couple more times before it holds. We were finally able to put our dinner in the oven and it warmed nicely.  Next, we added unlimited time to Pat's cell phone plan!! Albi is almost over and we have not seen much of this beautiful city.  Tomorrow we move on and are meeting some friends friends in Carcassonne to start our ride to the Luberon.

No pictures today.  No power, super spotty internet and wet grayness that did not inspire photography.

 

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 539 km (335 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
ann and steve maher-wearyHi Pat and Scott
I have been worried as you stopped writing your blog in the middle of your trip. Are you alright?
I so enjoy reading your blogs about your trips!
Ann
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott FenwickTo ann and steve maher-wearyAnn,

I should have replied much sooner. I had hoped to be able to organize a suitable ending to the blog but I just never never seemed to get around to it. Finally a rainy day and I sat down and did it! The short answer is we are fine - no issues finishing the ride - only issues were finishing the blog. Long answer is in the final two entries. Thank you for caring and it is motivating to know that others are following along.

Scott
Reply to this comment
4 years ago