Fri Nov 16 - Into wine country - Bucket List South Africa - CycleBlaze

Fri Nov 16 - Into wine country

Our amazing box lunch of mixed deli meats, camembert cheese, smoked trout, smoked chicken pâté, salad and fresh bread.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view across the Breede valley
Heart 1 Comment 0
A pomegranate tree growing in the Breede River valley that is known for its fruit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the native African sheep.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Drostdy house/museum. It is a typical Dutch house of the day (1780s) and was the home of the magistrate at least until the Brits showed up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very unique floor in the Drostdy make of peach pits pushed into the mud floor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We came across this group of guniea foul on our walk this morning,
Heart 0 Comment 0
They finally caught him.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some interesting geese also spotted near the guinea foul.
Heart 0 Comment 0

SORRY THE PHOTOS ARE A BIT MIXED UP BUT IT IS TOO HARD TO RE-ARRANGE THEM.

We overnighted in Swellendam the third oldest city in SA.  It was established by the Dutch and was an independent republic complete with its own currency once upon a time.  It did not last long because the British showed up and took over.  We visited The Drostdy museum that is very much like Upper Canada Village.  The home of the magistrate is a heritage building and the grounds have many out building such as a mill, cooperage and carpenter.  Once our visit was complete we drove about 35km before getting on our bikes for a very pleasant 50km ride to Robertson where we stay for 2 nights.  We passed through the beautiful Breede river valley growing many varieties of fruit trees and grape vines.   Our timing for lunch was fairly important because African Bikers had arranged our lunch at the Viljoensdrift winery.  We had an  amazing box lunch on a river cruise.  We went without wine because we had more riding to do and it was hot.  We are staying at a lovely  guest house where we had a wonderful dinner of springbok complete with red wine.

A Blue Crane the national bird of SA.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the vineyards and the mountains from the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Having lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonLooking good. Glad Tim escaped from prison in time for lunch.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Our boat for the lunch cruise.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding down a beautiful street lined with Jacaranda trees that are also found in Australia but apparently native to Central and South America.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike AylingWe have plenty of these here in Oz Margaret but they are actually native to Central and South America.

Mike
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Our room complete with the reed ceiling.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our room is top left under the reed roof.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wine with dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The starter of beet root, lettuce, olives, feta cheese and smoked salmon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Main course of Springbok on polenta with a red wine and chocolate au jus plus cabbage in ginger with carrots.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dessert of berries and ice cream. Tonight I ate this one so Frau Kuchen did not get mine.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 402 km (250 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0