Saguache-Creede: My favorite day - downhill to breakfast! - A pictorial journal of the Slumgullion Tour 2010 - CycleBlaze

June 27, 2010

Saguache-Creede: My favorite day - downhill to breakfast!

A group rest break after the fast, flat ride through the wetlands between Saguache and Del Norte.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I enjoyed riding beside TC and checking out her well appointed Rivendell Atlantis. Wally had certainly done TC proud in picking out her bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Without planning, we all managed to arrive at the designated breakfast spot, Boogies Diner, at the same time. When I was leaving the Diner we met two Great Divide racers on the way in. We chatted very briefly. They certainly looked worse for the wear, but were in good spirits.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped to check out John's hydration pak tube. It had sprung a leak. John must have been a boy scout, he had a spare part in his bag!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sara exits the state's best rest area. The restrooms are wall papered and have pictures and hanging plants instead. A rest area? Yes, indeed. Worth a stop even if you don't really need one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hwy 149 is squashed between towering red rock cliffs and the river for much of the distance between South Fork and Creede. We had a nice tailwind to push us up to Creede - and a bit of rain . . . .
Heart 0 Comment 0
John C. is happiest when he beats everyone else to town. He's looking pretty happy today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a classic shot of John C. and Mike. It's a good thing Mike came on the trip to keep John busy looking in his rear view mirror. Mike tells almost as good of stories as John. Evenings were certainly entertaining - as you can see.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tom kicks back and enjoys a cold one after 75 miles in the saddle. Ah!
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are other beverages available - such as orange juice or V8. Chips and salsa were a big hit each evening before we went to dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steve and John P. arrive in Creede on a pair of Bacchettas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
John C. is probably telling TJ things that would keep his mom, Ginny, awake at night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the light fixtures in the Miner's Inn where we ate pizza, pasta, and salad for dinner. Carbo loading for the big climb tomorrow!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tom brought his wife Ginny along to drive SAG for us. She took all of these photos and I don't have a single one of her! The consequences of always being behind the camera. Ginny was a lively addition to the tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looks like TJ is taking a liking to Mike's Titanium recumbent. Who says you can't develop good taste in bicycles at age 14?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 miles (121 km)
Total: 145 miles (233 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0