To Bouziés - Skipping About the Continent - CycleBlaze

October 10, 2022

To Bouziés

Today Team Anderson and their tag-along were headed for a three night stay in Bouziés, a small village located on the Lot River between Saint-Cirq-Lapopie and Cahors. It was to be an easy thirty-some miles down the Célé River, which was fortunate because both Bike Fridays were in need of a little TLC – not only were Scott’s brakes chattering but Rachael was down to the use of just four low-range gears. A Google search yesterday determined that the only bike shop in Figeac was permanently closed, so a future side trip to Cahors loomed as the best option.

Scott took a look at both bikes after breakfast and was able to adjust his brakes back to working order. He also pinpointed the derailleur cable as the source Rachael’s problem and, thinking it might free up with lubricant, stopped on the way out of Figeac to pick up some oil. Then we were off to Bouziés, promising Rachael we wouldn’t drop her as she furiously pedaled her way down river.

We left the morning traffic of Figeac and turned down D41, a wonderful river road that would take us to  Bouziés. I was in my usual head-on-a-swivel touring mode when I unexpectedly spied a bicycle shop on the corner. I excitedly caught up with Scott to tell him the news – but it took him a few hundred yards to decide it might be worth checking out, after I’d assured him it looked to be a bonafide bike shop. And Tous en Selle was all of that, and more. Great friendly folks who ushered Rachael into the back work room, hoisted the bike on the stand, and quickly diagnosed the problem as a broken cable (Scott was definitely in the right ballpark!). They soon had the bike in fine working condition and Rachael was all smiles as we headed down river at just past noon.

Scott found a nice morning workspace overlooking the Célé River to do some brake adjustments and drive train diagnostics
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the way out of Figeac - Scott is all smiles, but doesn't yet know there is a great bicycle shop coming up on his left
Heart 6 Comment 0
A hopeful Rachael peeking into the bike shop
Heart 5 Comment 0
I'll have it fixed in no time!
Heart 7 Comment 0
Tous en Selle (All in the Saddle), an excellent bike shop just outside of Figeac
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rachael, how is your bike riding now?
Heart 6 Comment 0

There is not much more to say about the day but WOW, GADZOOKS, and OMG. We rolled along the river road under soaring limestone cliffs that towered above small hamlets. I stopped often for pictures in a vain attempt to capture experience, or just to pinch myself. Similar to the previous two rides, the weather was spectacular – clear blue skies and sunshine highlighted the rich color patterns of the limestone walls. The fields and hillsides were splashed with shimmering yellows and reds as the fall foliage was nearing its peak. It was glorious.

The corn is drying and the leaves are changing - fall cycling down a rural river road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colors and textures and cyclists
Heart 4 Comment 0
Entering Corn
Heart 3 Comment 1
Keith AdamsAre Wheat, Oats, Rice, and Barley nearby?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Vivien George in Corn
Heart 1 Comment 0
A short detour into Espagnac-Sainte-Eulalie, a small commune on the Puy-en-Velay pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela
Heart 5 Comment 0
In Espagnac-Sainte-Eulalie
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Espagnac-Sainte-Eulalie,
Heart 6 Comment 0
In addition to a countless number of caves, there were a number of old fortresses, towers, and even houses built into the limestone cliffsides
Heart 4 Comment 0
Along the Célé River
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nearing Saint-Suplice
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rounding the bend into Saint-Suplice
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lunch spot in Saint-Suplice
Heart 3 Comment 0

As we sat on the grass during lunch, marveling at our surroundings and good fortune, we had no idea of the trifecta of surprises the day still had in store. After lunch, Rachael had gotten out front when she saw a trio cyclists on the road up ahead. “GoPro start recording,” and video captured the elation when all four realized they knew one another. it was Jean-Luc and his cycling buddies Daniel and Michel! Scott and I soon caught up and we all shared a few special moments of kinship and the camaraderie of touring cyclists.

A second encounter that stirred up past memories occurred in Cabrerets, when Scott recognized a bridge he had seen years ago, but had forgotten where it was located. A personal account of that moment can be found in Scott and Rachels’s account of our ride to Bouziés.

And the final cherry on a day bursting with superlatives was another Cycle Blaze meet-up. Ann and Steve Maher-Weary arrived in Bouziés for two nights on their tour through the Spain and France, chronicled here. There was instant bonding, loads of stories, and the shared enthusiasm of two-wheeled travel. My IRL Cycle Blaze community keeps expanding, and I am so much richer for it.  

Along the Célé
Heart 3 Comment 0
Chance encounters on the road with special people - the fourth for Rachael and Jean-Luc; Three for Susan and Jean-Luc; Two for the entire group - Scott, Rachael, Susan, Jean-Luc, Daniel, Michel
Heart 8 Comment 0
The scenery just keeps getting better as we near Bouziés
Heart 3 Comment 0
Scott approaching his bridge in Cabrerets
Heart 4 Comment 0
An awestruck Scott realizing he has located his long-misplaced bridge
Heart 4 Comment 0
Stopping for treats in Cabrerets
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another CycleBlaze rendezvous - Teams Anderson and Maher-Weary
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 3,115 miles (5,013 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonWhat a wonderful day!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago