Day 10: Rest day in San Andreas - Silver and Gold 2021 - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2021

Day 10: Rest day in San Andreas

The motel was quite loud last night. Footsteps, voices, cars. I ran the A/C most of the night just to mask the noise.

I have almost nothing to do today. I got up at 11:15, took a shower, then pedaled to the Pickle Patch restaurant for lunch in their huge garden. Excellent food and sprawling garden. The staff didn't wear masks and the only customers wearing masks were firefighters and paramedics.

Grand old brick house. Tuckpointing in progress.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I slept so late there was definitely no need for a nap. I did a few chores such as hand-washing clothes, pump tires, tighten bolts. There's not much to see and do in San Andreas when the museum is closed.

San Andreas.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Metropolitan Theater is a funny place. Grand name for a simple metal hangar type building. The theater appears to show classic films. Probably no digital projector.

Metropolitan Theatre in a metal hangar. Now showing: Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I wandered around town a little bit to look at the houses. Most of the houses were built in the 19th century.

San Andreas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
San Andreas.
Heart 0 Comment 0

San Andreas is Spanish for Saint Andrew. The town and the Catholic church were both founded in 1848 and named after St. Andrew.

The parish was founded in 1848. Don't know when this building was built.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These false storefronts probably use old gold rush era planks.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The noisy motel  and closed museum combined to make San Andreas a very unsatisfying location for a rest day. The previous destination (Jackson) and next destination (Sonora) would both be better places for a rest day. Sometimes I need a rest day just for the rest, no matter how boring the destination might be. I was not familiar with this region in advance, and didn't know the character of each town. I'm rested but eager to leave.

Today was the coldest day of the tour. High of only 64F (18C) with a northwest wind. Tomorrow should be back in the low 70's which is still far below normal. A high of 90F is more typical.

Distance: 1.3 miles (2 km)

Today's ride: 1 mile (2 km)
Total: 316 miles (509 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0