To Randazzo: Along the shoulder of Mount Etna - Our tour of Sicily - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2016

To Randazzo: Along the shoulder of Mount Etna

GPS route

Today we left the urban belt along the Ionian coast behind, and headed for the mountains. Our ride began by descending again to lower Taormina and then backtracking west to Giardini Naxos before heading inland and up the eastern flank of Mount Etna. It is a much more enjoyable climb than the one from Catania, because this time the haze is gone and we can see past our noses. Also, I'm finding the climb much easier this time. I think in retrospect the haze and air quality must have had its affect on me.

Our destination today is Randazzo, a town on the north side of the mountain. We had several different options in mind, but started out with the longest and most difficult in mind - to Mareneve (sea of snow; I think I wanted to go there just because I liked the name), at elevation 5,300'. About halfway up though, the mountain disappeared into clouds, the sky darkened, and rain seemed like a real possibility. Not seeing much point in risking getting cold and soaked if the mountain would be buried in clouds or fog, we lowered our sights and turned to the most direct route for the rest of the ride.

After dropping down to Linguaglossa and breaking for a picnic lunch on the village square, we ascended back to the balcony road and rolled along the flank of the mountain at elevation between 2500 and 3000 feet. It was a very beautiful, colorful ride - the scotch broom is out in full force, and looks especially brilliant contrasted against the black lava.

Randazzo has a small historical core, not much more than a few hundred meters across. It is quite quiet when we wander around it, a welcome relief after spending the last eight nights in cities. We are staying here at Ai Tre Parche Bed and Bike, a small B&B that also rents mountain bikes and caters in paricular to bikers. The owner, Matteo, is himself an avid biker - as well as the owner of the adjoining shoe store.

Here's Rachael's video clip from today's ride.  Also, here's a panoramic video from a point on the high road.

Total elevation gain: today, 4,900'; for the tour, 71,500'.

On Via Umberto, Taormina. This group was walking along the avenue, stopping about every twenty yards for yet another group selfie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Upper Taormina, seen from below
Heart 0 Comment 0
Piedemonte Etneo, with Taormina and then Calabria in the distance
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the high road to Randazzo
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the high road to Randazzo
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the high road to Randazzo
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the high road to Randazzo
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the high road to Randazzo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Randazzo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mount Etna
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from our bedroom at Ai Tre Parche Bed and Bike
Heart 0 Comment 0
Santa Maria church, Randazzo. The body of the church was built between 1217 and 1239, entirely of lava rock. The ornate bell tower was added in the 19th century.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Santa Maria church, Randazzo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Santa Maria church, Randazzo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Santa Maria church, Randazzo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Santa Maria church, Randazzo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Avenue of the Arches, Randazzo
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 952 miles (1,532 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0