We're ready, let's go! - Sicilian Circuit - CycleBlaze

March 13, 2023

We're ready, let's go!

Our bikes are packed, as is the rest of our stuff, except of course for the things we need tonight and tomorrow, like charging cables and toothbrushes.  We always take our electric toothbrushes, but Al has decided not to take his water flosser this time.  He carried it through Andalusia and our previous trip in Italy so we will see how it goes.  We tried one trip with manual toothbrushes (it was only a week) and decided we wouldn't do that again.

Speaking of packing bikes, Al did his yesterday morning while I sorted my other stuff and then we swapped.  I've mentioned in previous journals how much we like our bike cases so here are a few photos of the process.

Bike and case in our basement storage room. I took this photo last summer; Al's bike normally hangs on one of the higher hooks and my bike is in summer mode--no fenders. The rack is on because I needed to carry a pannier for a couple of short overnight trips. The case is collapsed and in its storage bag.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The case has an integrated bike stand which my back loves! Pedals come off first, so I can use my special method with body weight, then the front wheel (and the front fender if it's a full-coverage one like mine), then the bike goes onto the stand. The hard part is getting the plastic stiffener panels into the pockets on the sides of the case.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bike is ready to go in the case. The bar it's mounted on comes off the tripod and snaps into the base of the case, the tripod comes apart and the legs become stiffeners for the sides of the case, while the connecting part snaps on to the top of the bar in front of the bike's bottom bracket. I've removed the chain and derailleur (nicer to work without the dirty chain and the derailleur is so easy to remove from its vulnerable position), removed the rear wheel and fender, and the handlebar. Wheels and fenders go in padded wheel bags that fit into the case beside the frame. Taller cyclists need to drop the seat and possibly rotate the stem.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWhat a great bike case for a full size bike!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Rachael AndersonMine has been used for 3 different bikes so far, including my Co-Motion with couplers. Al was so impressed when he saw mine (I bought it while he was away), he got his own.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Once the bike is in, I put one or both water bottles back in the cages, put any tools and removed parts into the case, and add my helmet, cycling shoes, and anything else I can't fit in my carry-on bag.  Checking in at Vancouver Airport, we will be required to open the bike cases for manual/visual inspection but the big zippers make this easy.

Here's hoping everything goes smoothly tomorrow and it's not to0 cold in Zurich!  Did I mention we have a 25-hour layover in Zurich?  It wasn't quite that long when we originally booked the flights but it was overnight as the other option was a 50-minute stop.  Less than an hour when we need to clear customs and our bikes need to get on the next flight didn't seem like it was going to work, so we thought we'd just book a hotel and enjoy sleeping in a horizontal position and maybe take a wander into Zurich.  I just checked forecast for Zurich.  Two days ago, snow was forecast for Wednesday but now I see possible sunshine!

Thursday in Palermo, though, should be lovely.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Rachael AndersonHope your flights go well! We leave Wednesday at 6 am and have a very short connection in San Francisco. If we don’t make it in time we probably won’t get another flight until the evening. I hope it works!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Rachael AndersonFingers crossed!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
David MathersThis is all getting very exciting! Can't wait to read about your impressions of Sicily and see all the things we missed so we can go again. Safe Travels.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo David MathersThanks, Dave! I note that Scott & Rachael are making their third visit so it's gotta be good!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetOr we’re gluttons for punishment.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenWe are looking forward to this. May your flights be on time and smooth.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Kathleen ClassenThanks, Kathleen. I love cycle touring but I hate air travel.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenI couldn’t agree with you more. I dread the getting there and love the being there!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraBuon viaggio! Looking forward to following along.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago