Ragusa Ibla to Noto - Sicilian Circuit - CycleBlaze

March 31, 2023

Ragusa Ibla to Noto

We spent 3 nights here at Terrazza dei Sogni and really enjoyed it. The hosts, Francesca and Emilio, are fantastic, our room was very nice, and the bike accommodation was perfect. 

The breakfast buffet was excellent too.
Heart 6 Comment 0
View from the rooftop terrace
Heart 8 Comment 0
Rooftop terrace. It was a bit cool and breezy up here in March.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Our private terrace, part of our room
Heart 5 Comment 0
Francesca, one of our hosts
Heart 5 Comment 0
Leaving Ragusa Ibla, all varieties of police were attending something in enclosed event tents in a piazza. Representatives from every level, from local police to the coast guard, had parked their marked cars in the street.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We turned off SS 194, which follows a valley bottom to Giarratana, and immediately began climbing the steep switchbacks of SP 58. We followed that to SP 59, still climbing but much more gently. We descended on other Strada Provinciale and it was a beautiful ride—until we hit SS 115 for the last 15 km into Noto. That last part wasn’t particularly bad, but it wasn’t pleasant, especially compared to what we’d just had. 

Looking back from the switchbacks. From this angle, it’s clear how much lower Ragusa Ibla is compared to Ragusa Superiore.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Just lovely!
Heart 9 Comment 0
A few of the fields had different flowers.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The cows came running when they saw the pedestrians. They ignored Al.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Tree I stopped under…
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like cypress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupressus_sempervirens
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks for the identification, Bill!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Another tree I stopped under…
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like almonds

https://www.komoosee.com/en_US/blog/blog-materie-prime-2/post/the-almond-in-sicily-5
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Bill ShaneyfeltI was wondering if that’s what it was. There were a few old almonds on the wall I leaned my bike on, but it wasn’t clear they’d come from the tree.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
This terraced yellow field caught my eye
Heart 4 Comment 0
Checking the route. We’d missed a turn but it didn’t matter.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Margie AndersonIt’s gotta be a nice ride when it doesn’t matter. lol
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Off to one side…
Heart 4 Comment 0

It took us a couple of tries to find our accommodation. I had, I thought, edited our route to bring us right to the door but it wasn’t there!  Google Maps soon put us right. (Why this happened I don’t know because RWGPS incorporates Google Maps.)

After settling in, we went to explore the city centre and find some food. One positive about tourist areas is that you can generally find food outside of mealtimes. 

In Noto
Heart 6 Comment 0
Noto Cathedral. Its dome (not visible from this angle) collapsed in March 1996 and was “reconstructed by applying the most advanced earthquake proof techniques.”
Heart 7 Comment 0
The schoolchildren seen on the cathedral steps in the photo above are busy working on an art project involving tiny coloured stones.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bob KoreisI love this, the looks of joy and engagement on their faces. US schools have had too many of the memorable parts ripped out in favor of prepping for high stakes tests.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Bob KoreisI haven’t mentioned it but we’ve seen school groups everywhere we’ve gone. Mostly older than these kids and not so engaged (but teenagers would never show it).
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Across the street from the Cathedral is the City Hall. The second storey was added in the 1950s.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Church of San Carlo Borromeo, street level façade with Doric columns.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Church of San Carlo Borromeo, second and third levels of the façade with Ionic and Corinthian columns.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We paid 2€ each to climb the tower of San Carlo Borromeo. The spiral stair was very narrow (16 inches tread width would be my guess) and rather dark. 

The stair treads show some wear, but from feet of from running water?
Heart 3 Comment 0
From the top of the church tower, the new dome of the Cathedral is visible.
Heart 4 Comment 0
One of the bells of San Carlo Borromeo
Heart 4 Comment 0
Zooming in on the lizards on the bell
Heart 9 Comment 0
More renovation and restoration
Heart 3 Comment 0
Going down the spiral staircase. The rope was shaking madly, presumably others were trying to pull themselves up? The inner stone I was holding onto is a spiral, not a straight vertical as I would have expected.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Inside the church, a griffin supported the lectern.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another view inside the church with another griffin supporting the pulpit.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Column detail, exterior of the theatre (1860)
Heart 2 Comment 0
After dinner, we went for a walk and saw the kids’ completed art project.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Kirsten KaarsooThis is very impressive. It is nice to see the results.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 651 km (404 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0