Mazara del Vallo to Sciacca via Selinunte - Sicilian Circuit - CycleBlaze

March 24, 2023

Mazara del Vallo to Sciacca via Selinunte

I’m a bit behind on the journal because we’ve been busy riding and even doing a little bit of sightseeing—plus last night I received an email from Scott saying that they were also in Mazara and that Rachael had been out walking and discovered that the Ponte Arena, a key link on the Cyclovia Sibit route that we were all planning to take out of town, was closed for repairs. Apparently it’s been closed for over a year and commuters are upset about the slow progress of the work. In any case, Scott shared the new route he’d mapped and I used it to adjust mine.

We hadn’t expected breakfast (it wasn’t listed in my booking confirmation, so we were planning an early exit with a stop at a café for breakfast. However, our host appeared around 8 with four sandwiches. Al used the mocha to make himself an espresso and ate two sandwiches; I had one and we packed the other. A morning coffee and pastry stop was added to the plan. 

Entrance to La Corte di Zaccaria. The sign is thdd we little white rectangle behind the gate.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We were soon out of Mazara and the next village was Campobello, at about 15 km. We didn’t see anything “bello” about Campobello, no noticeable piazza or even appealing cafe. Google found us Commie’s though, and it was very good. 

Renewable energy, outside Mazara
Heart 1 Comment 0
The barista at Commie’s was a ray of sunshine and happy to practice her English.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Cappuccino and a genovese. Yum!
Heart 6 Comment 0

We got back on our bikes and continued eastward. Leaving Campobello, I had the opportunity to catch this Sicilian scene:

Only in Sicily have I seen intersections controlled by traffic lights with stop signs too.
Heart 6 Comment 0

When we got to the turn, we decided to make the short detour to Selinunte and it was definitely worth it. When we arrived, we leaned our bikes against a wall in the shade rather than the provided bike rack (which could have destroyed our wheels) and nobody objected. I changed my shoes this time but Al didn’t. We also bought admission plus bus tickets so we wouldn’t have to wonder whether it was worth it to walk to a further site. (As it turned out, it wasn’t, really.)

One of the best features of this particular archeological park is the explanation of how the temples were originally built. Everything standing here is a reconstruction and I have no idea how archeologists learn what they do from piles of rubble. 

Selinunte, Tempio E
Heart 6 Comment 0
Selinunte, cart for moving blocks
Heart 6 Comment 0
Selinunte, crane for building columns
Heart 5 Comment 0
Selinunte, Tempio E
Heart 5 Comment 0
Selinunte, looking up a fluted column
Heart 6 Comment 0
Selinunte, Tempio E
Heart 8 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonNice of Al to wear a red shirt. Perfect for the photo!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Suzanne GibsonYes, I thought so too.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Selinunte, Tempio F
Heart 4 Comment 2
Kirsten KaarsooWow, the sky is so Blue!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Kirsten KaarsooPart of that is my polarizing filter but it’s definitely more blue than at home.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Selinunte, Tempio G. Can you tell the difference?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Selinunte, in the museum. We see temple ruins as bare stone, but they were painted.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Selinunte, artifacts in the museum
Heart 1 Comment 0
Selinunte, Acropolis
Heart 5 Comment 0
Selinunte, Acropolis
Heart 4 Comment 0
The founders of the original city chose a beautiful location
Heart 5 Comment 0
Selinunte, the bus
Heart 2 Comment 0

We got back on our bikes to continue to our destination, Sciacca. We took Scott’s lower route along SP 49, rather than the higher route along SP 79-A that I’d planned. The routes converged before town and came in such that a challenging climb was required to get to our accommodation. No stairs, though. 

Our accommodation here was the best so far in Sicily, B&B Porta Bagni.  Bikes wheeled into locked garage, spacious room, hot water with good pressure, fast wifi, friendly host.

We went for a drink in the beautiful plaza we’d ridden past; Al had a beer and I tried a nonalcoholic apéritif that was really good. We walked down the steps to the waterfront near the fishing harbour looking for the famous steps. The area was rather sketchy in the early evening and I was glad I wasn’t alone. The big fresh-fish store, though, was bustling.  And just up from that we found the stairs we were looking for. Sadly, there was a lot of dog poop…

B&B Porta Bagni
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another flight of stairs, not the big one we were searching for.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Found it! In need of some TLC, though.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Stair riser tiles
Heart 5 Comment 0
Stair riser tiles
Heart 5 Comment 0
The sunset colours along this coast are fantastic!
Heart 4 Comment 0

We walked up these and found our way back to warm up a bit before meeting Scott ands Rachael for a delicious meal. 

Rachael and I both opted for salmon. It was a huge piece !
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 368 km (229 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0