In Piazza Armerina: the Good Friday Procession - Sicilian Circuit - CycleBlaze

April 7, 2023

In Piazza Armerina: the Good Friday Procession

Pop I’ll let the photos tell the story. 

Vendor waiting for the crowds. I would have thought Good Friday was a more solemn occasion.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The brass band’s meeting point. All ages participate.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This little boy saw the drums and ran up, his mother puffing behind. He got to try it!
Heart 3 Comment 0
The cathedral is at the top of the hill and the procession will finish here eventually.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We followed the growing crowd of people walking down and down to the Church of the Crucifixion, where the procession will start.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The brass band is here playing, while the procession gets organized.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Waiting for his cue from the conductor.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The delay in starting seemed to have something to do with these guys. The crew on the scaffolding waited quite a while for the crucifix to be brought out of the church. Then they had to attach it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The hooded confraternite emerged from the church while the others were attaching the lights.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The hoods aren’t disguises; thud fellow and the chief of police (?) exchanged greetings.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Waiting for all to be ready. The modern age has affected this tradition; there were a few men among the various confraternities carrying mobile speakers so the priest’s prayers could be heard by all.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ready and waiting.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I didn’t see where these two fit into the procession but I sure liked their uniforms.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Rich FrasierBelieve it or not, those are policemen. Carabinieri in their dress uniforms!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsVery Napoleonic-looking! I'm always impressed (and amused) by the ornate "costumeiness" of Italian police uniforms. Who else but the Italians would have uniforms designed by Gucci?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Rich FrasierI still regret not getting a photo of the carabiniero (is that the singular?) in his mountain uniform at one of the passes during Sellaronda Bike Day last year.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Are his gloves touchscreen-compatible?
Heart 1 Comment 0
And those hats! Definitely need chin straps if there’s any breeze.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A solemn burden.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Listening to the opening prayers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ready to move.
Heart 2 Comment 0
All the clerics were dressed differently.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Judging by his robes, this fellow must have seniority, but he wasn’t the one with the microphone.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The banner of the confraternite that carried the statue of Christ on the cross.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s a heavy load. They will be winding through the town, stopping at all the stations of the cross. The man on the right holds a wooden noisemaker to signal the bearers to raise or lower their load. Next to him, the boy holds a device to support the platform; someone has one at each corner. Another man went ahead with a similar device on a long unwieldy pole to lift any wires along the route.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Really heavy. And these men don’t look like they spend their spare time working out.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Off they go, crouching to get under this wire. The fellow with the long pole wasn’t there.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Next comes the statue of Mary, carried by a team of women.
Heart 3 Comment 0
They don’t appear to be struggling quite as much (yet). Perhaps this one is lighter.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The final load was carried by a team of boys. Jesus laid out in the tomb, perhaps. I didn’t get a good look.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Definitely lighter.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After the procession moved off, we did not join the audience following along but worked our way back up to our B&B and another dinner by Ettore. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Margie AndersonWow, that was a mighty effort procession! Thanks again for your commentary. M.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago