One week off: Inferno - Bilbao to Sete - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2017

One week off: Inferno

We leave for Spain a week from today, and it can't come soon enough. We'd depart today if we could. Oregon's fire situation gets worse by the day, and it feels like the whole western half of the state is ablaze. Portland and the northwest corner of the state have been spared the worst of it, but matters took a severe turn for the worse Sunday when a new blaze opened up at Eagle Creek, allegedly started by illegal fireworks. It is expanding rapidly and threatening homes in several nearby communities, and last night amazingly enough it jumped the Columbia River into Washington. Overnight, Portland's air has turned decidedly unhealthy, although it does make for an interesting sunrise.

Looking east toward the Eagle Creek fire from downtown Portland. It's hard to believe this would be a clear day if it weren't for the smoke, but the sky is blue directly above.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Not the healthiest conditions to be out riding in, but it doesn't look like it's slowing the commuter rush by much. It is the first time that I remember seeing folks in Portland walking and biking with face masks though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachael is younger and has tougher lungs than I do, so she went out for a morning ride to Sauvie Island. It's a bit better up that way, but still pretty ghastly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0