Onrus: Tasting, eating and resting - The second step ... A booze cruise that is actually a dry run - CycleBlaze

February 26, 2017

Onrus: Tasting, eating and resting

We set off up the Hemel en Aarde valley this morning hoping to do a tasting at Hamilton Russel Vineyards based on the information that we (thought we) got at Southern Right yesterday. Unfortunately they are closed on Sundays and we couldn't bring ourselves to struggle up the hill to La Vierge which we knew would be open.

So we free-wheeled back down the valley to Onrus where we had a great tasting in the hands of Paul du Toit, the proprietor of the what is one of South Africa's best wine shops - The Wine Village. Interspersed with tasting and talking about wine (with some great practical lessons from Paul about the effects of clean glasses vs unrinsed glasses vs ice and the effects on pH) we tasted gin with the partner of a distellery (and also experienced the effects of water on gin) and met one of the up and comng stars of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay - Peter-Allan Finlayson (our two favourite wines of this morning were the P-N and Chardonnay from one of Peter-Allan's side projects with a very small producer).

Lunch at EAT (wild mushroom rissoto for me and cirpsy duck for Leigh) followed by a lazy afternoon.

Three days wihout punctures !!!

Crispy duck - Onrus style.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 22 km (14 miles)
Total: 252 km (156 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0