Winging it - East Glacier to Eastern Maine - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2019

Winging it

Clare to Bay City

Heart 1 Comment 0

Jackie’s avg speed: 10.1 mph
Scott’s avg speed:
Weather: 60-70 degrees, sunny, 12mph headwind from Lake Huron last 10 miles

The Doherty Hotel offered similar choices as the chain  motels – scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy – but prepared fresh in the hotel kitchen. Ceramic dishes and metal utensils. The cold cereal was in normal sized boxes, and a pound brick of butter sat next to the toaster. No tiny individual sized packages that generate so much trash. Best of all for Scott, waitresses hovered close by and refilled his coffee cup as soon as it was empty. Kudos to the Doherty for serving the food more sensibly! Probably cheaper, too.

After Scott uploaded the maps, the final step in posting the blog, we rode over to a fee-free ATM to replenish our cash. By the time we steered onto the bike path, it was almost 10:00. 

Bumps on a log on the bike path east of Clare.
Heart 5 Comment 0

The first 25 miles of our day were on a paved bicycle path through a level wooded area, still fragrant with fading dogwoods and lilacs in people’s yards along the trail. The closer we got to Midland, which appropriately enough was the mid-point of our ride, the more cyclists we saw. A small group of road cyclists went by. “You guys are touring, why are you going so fast?” “It’s such a great trail, we can’t help it!” There I go again, oversharing, but these conditions were ideal. Warm, sunny, smooth pavement, no hills, no danger.

Only bicyclists, pedestrians, and horseback riders can use the Pere Marquette trail between Clare and Midland, MI. We had a lot of company during our ride on it.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We stopped to read a sign about Michigan’s first, unsuccessful, attempt at extracting salt from a salt spring near Sanford, the small town off the trail. A woman in her late 30s with a girl who looked about eight approached Scott. “I see you are riding with a lot of stuff. Can I ask you about your ride?” Scott told her about the journey from Montana this year and the ride across Washington, Idaho, and western Montana last year. 

Her eyes got big. “Of course! You had to cross the mountains.”

“Yes, but we only had to ride up, we coasted down.”

“You’ve given me something to think about. I might be able to do a longer ride.”

“I’m not an athlete,” I said, “I just like to ride my bike. And swim.” 

I saw the gleam of understanding in her eyes, she felt the same way. She said her little girl was trying to complete a 20-mile ride that day. We expressed suitable appreciation and the girl smiled. Hope she made it. With her mom’s encouragement, she probably did.

Once we got to Midland, we had some shopping to do, so we took designated bike lanes to the north side where the discount stores were located. The bike lanes and drivers’ deference for cyclists showed Midland was bike friendly, making it a pleasant place to ride. 

Coleman, MI, a beautiful little town located right on the Pere Marquette trail.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Repair optionality - channeling our daughter-in-law Jillian - optionality is good.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We didn’t really have a plan, we were just winging it. I wanted to eat, but Scott didn’t like any of the franchises on the strip. First stop was Target to pick up replacement blades for his Harry’s razor. I asked him to get some cheddar cheese popcorn. He came out with the razor blades and popcorn. Then we thought about the other things on our list, like Advil and protein bars. Target would have that, no need for Walmart. Scott asked me to go back in, because the clerk made a face when he refused a plastic bag. I got the Advil, protein bars, peanut M&Ms, nuts, dried cranberries, PLUS bananas, peaches avocados, spicy hummus, fresh mozzarella, tortilla chips, and dill flavored Triscuits. It’s not a good idea to go into a store hungry, especially when you have to carry everything on a bike. 

We each ate a banana outside Target before heading to Dunham’s for a swimsuit for Scott and some Deet insect repellent. He doesn’t like the lemon and eucalyptus solution I bought back in Ironwood. According to articles I read, Deet doesn’t work for black flies. Guess we’ll find out. Dunham has been our go-to discount sports store, with great prices on clothing and gear. Too bad it’s only in Michigan, we will miss it. 

By the time we finished shopping, it was 15:00 and time to start pedaling again. The route continued on Wheeler Road, a 15-mile stretch of lumpy two-lane highway with no shoulder and nervy Friday afternoon traffic. The sun was hot, so the cool stiff breeze coming off Lake Huron was not unwelcome. On the bike trail I had averaged 11 mph, but the wind slowed us down. 

Once we got to another bike trail five miles from Bay City, we sat down in the parking lot of a closed dance studio to arrange our lodging. Scott’s knee was still a little sore, so during the first round of calls to Marriott, Doubletree, Comfort Inn, and Quality Inn I asked about hot tubs. None had a hot tub. Maybe a swim would be just as therapeutic. A second round of calls. All the hotels were booked, except a Hampton Inn suite with kitchenette. $255. We finally got a room at the Euclid Motel for $85, which was about $25 more than similar places we’ve stayed. No hot tub or pool, and the WiFi signal couldn’t reach our corner room. Grrrr. While we were checking in, a few more cars drove up. Business was good for the Euclid, since it was apparently one of the last choices for people who had not planned ahead. 

Scott went to Kroger for a beer and I asked him to get fresh basil and a tomato so we could make a caprese salad. He came back with a tomato, granola, blueberries, bagels, and Nutella. Alas, the store was out of basil. (!?) So we winged it. I put the empty popcorn bag on the TV table and used a plastic knife to slice the veggies and cheese to go with the Triscuits and hummus. We don’t carry much kitchen gear – just a 3-cup titanium pot, two titanium coffee mugs, two sporks (spoons with fork tines), and two-inch long Swiss army-like knives. The cracker and veggie hodgepodge was more satisfying than the chain restaurant fare within walking distance on the strip.

After dinner, I called the Otto Lake Village Campground where we wanted to spend the next night. Plenty of space for tents. We would not be scrambling tomorrow night.

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 1,786 miles (2,874 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0