Shelter from the Storm - East Glacier to Eastern Maine - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2019

Shelter from the Storm

Turtle Lake State Park to Grand Forrks

Heart 0 Comment 0

Jackie’s avg speed: 7.8 mph
Scott’s avg speed: 10.4 mph
Weather: temps 45-50, northeast wind 15 mph

I had a great night’s sleep in my down sleeping bag rated for 15 degrees Fahrenheit, a birthday present from Scott last year. Scott’s was supposed to keep him warm to the same degree, but was obviously overrated. He got chilled when the temps dropped into the low 30s. (Maybe he needs a new one for his birthday). 

We were up with the birds in the cold dawn, and warmed up with coffee, cocoa, and oatmeal, prepared in one of the heated restrooms. Although the night had not been the most restful for Scott, the distance to his brother’s house was only 20-some miles, and the next day would be our day of rest after nine days of pedaling.

By 08:15 we were enjoying the sunshine which gradually disappeared as the northeast wind blew in a cool front. We got to his brother’s house about 11:00 and parked our bikes in the garage. We would not need them until the day after tomorrow. We brought the panniers into the guest bedroom, showered and changed clothes.

We spent that day and the next catching up and enjoying their generous hospitality. Delicious dinners of pot roast and tacos, plus a bag of strawberry licorice and chocolate turtles, put us into calorie surplus.

Grand Forks, North Dakota.
Heart 3 Comment 0

 

It was cold and rainy on our down day – we congratulated ourselves on the impeccable timing of mooching off family. They took us shopping for a re-supply of peanut M&Ms, Cliff bars, and special detergent for washing our tech clothes. With some misgivings, we mailed our winter clothes home and put the summer gear that had been mailed from home in our panniers. Cool temps would linger, so we would have to be creative about layering.

Future buffalo burgers. On a county road southwest of Grand Forks.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 23 miles (37 km)
Total: 883 miles (1,421 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0