Peanut M&Ms for Breakfast - East Glacier to Eastern Maine - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2019

Peanut M&Ms for Breakfast

Erskine to Fosston

Heart 1 Comment 0

Jackie’s avg speed: 7.8 mph
Scott’s avg speed: 8.7 mph
Weather: 55 degrees and rain, east wind 12 mph
Terrain: slight upward slope

The last thing we did before zipping up the sleeping bags the night before and the first thing we did in the morning before breaking camp was check the weather. Rain would come and go for the next few days, so we hoped to avoid the hard rain that was gonna fall by 09:00.

We made a quickie breakfast, using the last of our camping gas to heat water for coffee, cocoa, and tea. We thought that would suffice, since we only had to go only 15 miles. We got out into the east wind at 07:15 and hoped to be at the Lepier Lodge in Fosston in two hours. Maybe it’s obvious, but if Erskine is west of Fosston and an east wind is blowing at 15-20 mph, the rain will hit Fosston first. We burned through the caffeine buzz and had to munch peanut M&Ms (Scott) and dried fruit and nuts (me) to keep going. The showers hit us about 08:30 and in another half hour the soaking rain began.

We arrived on the east side of Fosston happy but drenched and ready for a real breakfast at Palubicki’s, a grocery store with attached café. We were still out on the sidewalk under an overhang securing the bikes when a local asked us where we were from and where we were going. When we got inside and had shed our wet coats and sat down on soft chairs by a low table, an elderly gentleman at a neighboring table declared, “So you’re from Montana.” 

Yes, that was the case. When we were in the Foreign Service, we proudly represented the United State to the people in the countries where we lived. Now that we’re vagabonds crossing the U.S. on bikes, we proudly represent Montana to the rest of our fellow citizens. The patrons in the cafe wished us good luck as they got up to pay their bills. Good will is always welcome.

Rain outside the window of the Palubicki grocery/cafe complex in Fosston, MN.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Susan Cooper CooperBiking in the rain! Not my favorite thing...
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

We warmed up and filled up on oatmeal pancakes and a breakfast burrito, then pedaled through the downpour the last mile to the Lepier Lodge. The clerk took one look at us and asked the housekeeping manager, “Is 102 ready?” It was, so we wheeled our bikes around to the side entrance and claimed the room at the end of the hall, with space for our bikes next to the inside stairwell. The room was clean, modern, and large enough to fit an easy chair, table and chair, and queen bed without feeling cramped. All for $79, including tax.

It rained steadily all afternoon.  I worked on the blog and Scott rinsed off the tent ground cloth and immersed his leaky air mattress in the tub trying to find the leak. (He couldn’t find it). At 17:00 after the rain stopped, I rode back to the laundromat to wash clothes. I was almost back to the motel when the third wave came through, this time with thunder and lightning. It was so exciting to watch the weather drama from the comfort of a warm, dry place. 

Dinner was instant lasagna paired with a cheap, sweetish Chardonnay (not a misprint) I picked up at the liquor store while waiting for the clothes to dry. (BTW, Minnesota, like North Dakota, does not sell alcoholic beverages in grocery stores or gas stations). Lights out at 22:00. 

These clouds on the east edge of Fosston brought rain and hail about an hour after this picture was taken.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 miles (24 km)
Total: 959 miles (1,543 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0