Nice Hilly Terrain - East Glacier to Eastern Maine - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2019 to July 4, 2019

Nice Hilly Terrain

Wolcott to Pulaski

Heart 1 Comment 0

Jackie’s avg speed: 10.7
Scott’s avg speed: 11.9 mph
Weather: 75-80 degrees, humid, cooling breezes east off Lake Ontario

This was our 15th day of riding without a break, and we were motivated. We shot out of the Cherry Grove Campground at 07:15 and 51 miles later were at Stefano’s Pizzaria in Pulaski at 12:50. Maybe “shot out” doesn’t describe the deliberate pace we set carrying all our stuff, but on this day we covered the most miles in the shortest time. By 13:40 we were checked in at the Super 8, roughly $100 including tax. This is where we would spend our down day, catching up on admin and checking out the Lake Ontario beach at Selkirk State Park, an eight-mile roundtrip ride.

The day’s ride went on county roads that mostly were graded to minimize the hilly terrain and expedite travel between the towns. We stuck with their suggestions, but took Highway 13 the last few miles to Pulaski. 

We still managed to get in a brief muscle straining workout. We had planned a second breakfast in Fulton, but arrived at the Blue Moon Grill to discover it doesn’t serve lunch. We took Oneida Street up a steep hill, anticipating pancakes and Eggs Benedict at the Hilltop Diner. But the Hilltop Diner was in the middle, not the top, of that hill, and we rode right by it because we were so focused on making it to the top. Our last option was Debbie’s Hash and Mash at the real hilltop, but Debbie had closed up shop some time ago. So, it was Little Debbie’s Powdered Sugar Donuts (sell by July 17) from a Kwik Fill gas station on Route 6 west of Volney.

We spent the better part of Independence Day on admin - balancing the checkbook, updating the blog, and arranging lodging for the next few nights. While comparing the digital version of the Adventure Cycling map with the hard copy, we discovered several discrepancies, so Scott made our digital version match the hard copy. 

In the late afternoon, we rode out to see Lake Ontario one more time, an easy 11-mile round trip without panniers. The beach had been mangled by the high water, so we found a spot on a rocky shore where I could at least wade in. The temperature was nice, and if the waves had not been so rough, swimmable. We stopped at Stefano’s again on the way back to the Super 8 for a Caesar salad (Scott) and pepperoni pizza (me). 

Lake Ontario on the edge of Selkirk State Park, NY.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 2,429 miles (3,909 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0