In 34 Point 5 Miles Turn Left - East Glacier to Eastern Maine - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2019

In 34 Point 5 Miles Turn Left

Browning to Cut Bank

Heart 0 Comment 0

This ride on the second day was that most rare of rarities: 35 miles with a tail wind and slight down slope as we put distance between ourselves and Glacier’s beautiful peaks. Skies were overcast, temp near 40, and winds out of the west when we got on the road at 10:20. Funny thing about tailwinds, I don’t actually feel the assist. I look down at my odometer and I’m doing 15, 17, 20 miles an hour with hardly any effort. It’s a spiritual thing, sailing along boosted by an unseen power.

After turning east onto Highway 2 from the Glacier Peaks Motel, my bicycle app advised me, “In thirty-four point five miles, turn left.” That trajectory takes us straight east to the Super 8 in Cut Bank. In the weeks ahead, we will take Highway 2 east for hundreds of miles and across state lines, little navigation required. 

Scott pauses from time to time to keep from getting too far ahead of me. This was where Hwy 2 splits away from Hwy 89.
Heart 3 Comment 0

At noon we paused briefly for a snack and in an hour swooped down and back up the 150 foot high “cut bank” that gives the town its name. We arrived at the Super 8 Motel a little after 13:30, too early to check in, so we hung out on a bench in the town’s strip mall. Jack Gauthier, a lanky guy our age wearing a tan Carhartt jacket and sheriff’s badge, saw our bikes parked in the foyer and chatted us up. He shared a lot of stories about the history of the area and bear encounters in Glacier Park. On YouTube you can see his video about “Chocolate Legs,” a sow grizzly that developed a taste for human flesh. 

Gauthier and everyone we met were great representatives of their town. The motel staff, waitresses, and store clerks were all open, friendly, and eager to help visitors. That makes Cut Bank a pleasant place to stay and leaves a positive impression. The Super 8 is spotless, with a heated indoor pool and tidy laundry facility. WiFi has no password, so use at your own risk. But, it is faster than a lot of places we’ve visited. Breakfast consists of cellophane wrapped sweet rolls or toaster waffles, plastic bin dispensers of cold cereal, even individual packages of rolled scrambled eggs. (?!) At least the dishes are paper and not styrofoam.

We harbor no regrets when bicycling, it’s such a blessing to have the strength and leisure to do this. But – if we had known how fast we would go with the tailwind, we probably would have pressed on to Shelby. We had reserved the room in Cut Bank in advance. We could not have canceled without losing money, since motels don’t allow refunds for no-shows. Day 3 promises more tailwinds, so we are going to push ourselves farther to take advantage.

Highways and railroads keep rural communities alive. This train is carrying grain to paying customers somewhere farther west.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Yuri Waldonice photo of the railroad.

a wonder your feet aren't colder as I see dad wearing sandals(!). sheesh.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Julian WaldoIt does look chilly for sandals, though the bigger loss is not being clipped in and having the benefit of the up stroke! I hope you guys have toe cages at least. Every little bit helps.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jeffrey WaldoI am too clumsy to clip-in or even toe-cage-in on my loaded touring bike.

I am a huge fan of sandals and wool socks. They keep my feet warm down to 34 degrees F or so. Any lower and it's time for a wind blocking layer or another pair of Darn Tough wool socks.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 65 miles (105 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0