We’re back in Germany - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2019

We’re back in Germany

Travemunde

Up early to have breakfast and head to the ferry terminal for our 10 hour journey to Travemunde Germany.  Sometimes things work out without planning. It so happens that our hotel (a historical building that a restored granary and strategically positioned on the harbour) is directly in front of where our TT Lines ferry is docked. At ground level in an adjoining courtyard, all of the ferry companies have their offices and information booth. Very convenient.  Our ride to the ferry will be 2 short blocks and that’s it. Trelleborg is one of the busiest ferry ports and  also one of the most important ferry sites in Scandinavia and around the Baltic Sea.  Many long distance ferries and companies sail from here. It is very organized.

The Clarion Hotel, our hotel in Trelleborg, literally abuts on to the ferry terminal and off loading lanes. This beautifully restored former granary is very comfortable, soundproofed and good value.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And there she is...our ferry for today. It rained all night, but lucky for us, the weather looks good for our day on the sea. We depart at 9:30 and arrive in a Germany at 19:30.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You don’t see a tank waiting to be loaded on a ferry everyday. Ultimately, Seavo and the tank travelled together on the car deck.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading out of a Trelleborg harbour. Ferries and truck traffic are essential for the flow of goods and commerce in these Baltic and Scandinavian countries
Heart 0 Comment 0
This ferry trip is so much less expensive than our ride from Gdansk to Karlskrona. TT Lines offers great value and the cabin is spacious and comfortable. We are so glad we got a cabin as the lounge area on the ship is very limited. People looked pretty uncomfortable after a few hours. Whereas Barry is a happy sailor. (€40 for our cabin with its own WC and shower...worth every €).
Heart 3 Comment 0
An impressive cabin for our day journey.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The sister ship passed us going to Sweden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met Petra and Alain, from Belgium, who are also on a cycling trip. We had met them at the hotel and have enjoyed getting to know them on the journey.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just entering Germany and the harbour area of Rostock where we will briefly stop. It is a busy harbour with 2 cruise ships in port, many local ferries, container ships, and us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We find these working harbours fascinating.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Workers on a container ship. We always wonder what life must be like on these ships.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Travemunde looks like a pretty sea town with historical buildings, cafes along the waterfront, a beach promenade and many people enjoying the summer evening.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oops, we got down to the car deck and somehow Seavo’s chain had gotten jammed behind the chainring. This TT Line crew member was very helpful and knowledgeable about bikes. Lucky for us he fixes bikes when he has is at home in Poland. He wouldn’t leave us until the problem was solved.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Super Karol, what a great guy. We really appreciate his help and dedication to getting us on the road safely.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Barry and I had the same meal (I had the Oma - small version) and it was delicious. A grill plate of potatoes, beans and Brussels sprouts, schweinefillets (pork) with a yummy sauce and topped by an omelette. What a great way to return to Germany and have such a good meal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Alain had schollefillet which was very good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Petra also had the same fish dish, but like me, she had the Oma version.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Petra comes from a family of fishers and really knows how to clean the bones when eating fish. Nice job Petra.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 2,541 km (1,578 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0