We are in Sweden - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2019

We are in Sweden

 We slept well, just not long enough, in our quiet and comfy cabin on the ferry. Ironically, after debating about whether or not to have a room with a view, we awoke to heavy fog with very little visibility.  So much for the room with a view!

We discovered that many Swedes take the ferry to Poland so that they can take advantage of low liquor and beer prices. We took a walk through the shop and saw people with trolleys full of cases of beer and liquor. It was hard to find space on the elevator as it was full of booze. One fellow explained to us that Swedes go to Germany and Poland for liquor, and the Norwegians come to Sweden for cheap chocolate and sweets as they have  a high sugar tax. We must have looked really odd, lined up to buy batteries without a buggy of bottles.

We were thrilled to find bike routes and good signage right off the boat. We felt well taken care of and made our way through the archipelago for 12 km to Karlskrona, a city surrounded by the Baltic Sea. We had lots of things to take care of here-find a bike shop and get help with pads for our brakes, get new SIM cards for our devices, get maps (hopefully cycling maps), make a plan, etc. We were unable to find any maps for Sweden in Poland, so first stop was the Tourist Info. Wow, they were great. We got free excellent cycling maps, good advice and a recommendation on a good bike shop.

 We have learned that Karlskrona offers a great deal to see. It has World Heritage status due to it being a well preserved example of  a late 17th century European planned naval base. Surrounded by the Baltic Sea and many islands, Karlskrona has interesting period  architecture, quaint colourful wooden homes with intricate latticework, wide pedestrian areas, many museums and a theatre with films in the original language. We feel a at  home here. One feels that this is a community  of people who are very laid back, friendly and enjoy an active outdoor lifestyle.

We realized that we need to stay here tonight as the bulk of the day has been devoted to getting jobs done. We found the Archipelag Hotel and if it is representative of what we will experience in Sweden, then we will be happy. Free use of a guest laundry facility including soap, free tea, coffee and cookies whenever you like...and it is good coffee!, a hearty breakfast buffet. We like the low key and laid back,hospitality which makes us feel at home. A good day. Happy to be in Sweden.

Image not found :(
The fog is lifting and we get a first view of Karlskrona. In the foreground, you can see our hotel. It is a white building with a peaked red roof below the church
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Another look at Karlskrona
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
This gives a sense of the archipelago with many islands and jutting coastline. When we disembark, Karlskrona will be very close “as the crow flies” but it will be a ride of several km up and around the archipelago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And we are off. The crew have been great and very understanding. When they saw we were ready to go, all traffic was stopped and we were given 5 min to ride off. Imagine telling freight trucks and motorcycles to wait.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Stena Vision is an older ship but very well maintained.
Heart 1 Comment 0
So many signs. Don’t you love it when they are so many signs that you have to stop and decide which is for you?
Heart 2 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltSo much better to have lots of signage than not!! :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
At the Tourist Office, we really liked this poster. The philosophy of sharing their outdoor spaces is admirable and they reenforce their expectations in a positive way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We found a great mechanic, a problem solver who could think outside of the box.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thanks for helping us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It looks like Barry and Seavo are being let out of bike jail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The shopping streets and core are for pedestrians and bikes only.
Heart 0 Comment 0
People here are very friendly and relaxed. The woman in the middle is from Vancouver and knows our home island well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Sweden, beer must be under 3.5% to be sold in stores. Sweden has very strict liquor laws and zero tolerance for driving with more than 0.1% blood alcohol.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Candy is incredibly popular and there is a big sale on bulk candy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Black vanilla gelato on the right with a dab of white vanilla. Barry had fun trying this new trend in black ice cream.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting - - black ice cream! Did it taste like black licorice?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Barry BartlettTo Charmaine RuppoltAs I recall, it was very good…creamy vanilla. Weird tho…
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
The harbourmaster and the pigeon keeping an eye on the sea.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A church in Karlskrona.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were walking back to our hotel past the City Hall and came upon a car rally of older cars.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw a mix of European and American vintage cars.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An American Police cruiser complete with a police dog and prisoner (stuffed figures).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel is up this block on the next corner. We like having this statue keep us safe from any threats from the sea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The architecture here is well preserved wooden buildings which remind us of the east coast’s Maritime Provinces in Canada.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 21 km (13 miles)
Total: 2,140 km (1,329 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0