Travemunde to Lubeck - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2019

Travemunde to Lubeck

It’s strange how tired one can be after a day of being sedentary. The 10 hour journey on the ferry was pleasant, comfortable and easy. Yet we were all tired by the time we got off the boat and made it to our accommodation for the night. The weather has become uncomfortably humid which doesn’t help. 

Our family run hotel has seen better days. It feels pretty neglected on the exterior and in  the rooms. However, we think that their energies are going in  to the restaurant and the food. We were interested that this family run hotel has many people from Lithuania working here. Perhaps, there has been a change of management. Nonetheless, we got what we needed...rest and good food. 

Yes, we are back in Germany and enjoy the familiarity of the decor of a traditional inn like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The breakfast room is very pretty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Packed up and ready to head to Travemunde and check it our, then on to Lubeck where we’ll probably stay the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This gull entertained us with his frequent “yawning”.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Travemunde harbour. It is a pretty and busy harbour as we saw from the ship last night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding Seavo along the expansive promenade along the sea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It looks like this beach is very popular, and it is beautiful, but we prefer beaches that are less busy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plus, you pay a user fee to use the beach. What is that about?
Heart 0 Comment 1
Mike AylingReducing the burden on the local ratepayers?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
We feel so at home in Germany as we have gotten to know it very well. We did a grocery shop enroute and decided to eat our picnic lunch (from breakfast) in a park. Of course, Barry recalled that the bakeries in the grocery store offer good baking and the 49 cent cold espressos in the store. Now I know why he disappeared back into the store.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Lubeck is a gem. It was the leading city of the Haseatic league. The old part of Lubeck is on an island encircled by the Treve River. One can still ride through the ancient gates to access the island.

The iconic image of Lubeck, the Holstein Gate, built in 1464 which has three towers , is very impressive.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The skyline of Lubeck across the River Treve.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rathaus is extraordinary, immense and quite beautiful. Its sheer size and the intricacy of its details are hard to capture on camera. We spent much time here admiring this beautiful structure
Heart 0 Comment 0
The courtyard size of the Rathaus capturing the setting sun.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Rathaus dates back to the 12th century.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another angle of the Rathaus. As you can see it is hard to capture its essence.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Rathaus is a potpourri of styles and intricate details.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barry has befriended the devil sitting on the devil stone.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Local legend is that the devil helped with the building of St Mary’s church thinking that it would be a wine bar. When he realized that he had been tricked, he dropped a stone slab hoping to destroy it, but he was appeased when a builder promised that they would build a wine bar nearby.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The builder’s kept their word (kind of) and later the Rathskeller Tavern was built across from the church.

There is a devil between us, but we all look happy nevertheless,
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another building we liked in Lubeck. It is hard to single out all of the highlights of this city..
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Northern City Gate, Burgtor is one of two remaining tower gates from the medieval,fortifications. The baroque helmet like roof was added in 1685.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 2,584 km (1,605 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0