Travelling is all about the unexpected - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2019

Travelling is all about the unexpected

We arrived in Drezdenko yesterday keen to get straight to the hotel as we knew that it was the only accommodation available. We did not feel like riding further and we had been unable to book online. Luckily they had two rooms left. The young man who checked us in warned us that the hotel was booked out for a wedding and that it I would be really loud. He showed us both rooms and he advised which might be less noisy.

This part of Poland is mostly rural and lacks the infrastructure that we had enjoyed on our previous trip to Poland. In this area, you must plan your day’s riding  based on available places to stay. Most villages do not offer commerce or accommodation, except for a small Sklep (Convenience Store). As well, the road network here is not plentiful and few roads seem to go in a straight line, so it is generally advisable to stay on the route. The alternate roads are either freeways or paved with deep sand.

The wedding was a grand affair with a live band, fireworks at midnight and dancing until 4 am. We had ear plugs so it was ok. 

The staff at Hotel Eljan are exceptional. We discovered that 8 of the employees, including the lovely man who checked us in, are from Ukraine. Eleanora from Kolomyia region of Ukraine gave us such good service at breakfast and made our stay special.

Google Translate is essential and is such a good ice breaker. This woman, Eleanora,who made our breakfast is from Ukraine, left during the war and was very proud that both of her girls go to college in Poland. Google had its work cut out for it as we were using 3 languages: English, Polish and Ukraine.She made us fresh cappuccinos and really looked after us. What a joy to get to know her.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Breakfast was exceptional, with personal touches from Eleanora like the Cappucinos and eggs. She insisted that we not drink the regular coffee or the eggs that were at the buffet. In our travels, nothing rivals freshly cooked eggs in Poland. What is their secret?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were lucky to get a room here and we had a balcony which gave us a good view of the wedding and festivities.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lody (ice cream) in Poland is very good and popular. In this corner of the shopping street, there were 4 Lody places.
Heart 2 Comment 0

A postscript to Barry and his cone. Notice the slight lean of his cone on the right. After the photo, he took a taste and all of the ice cream ended up in his lap. Well, you know the 2 second rule...he scooped up the ice cream which covered his,lap with his hands and bravely carried on! What a trooper.

Today should be called Stork Day. We will see more nests on our route today than ever before in our travels. We lost count. Each nest is active with typically 2 chicks. We understand that an active stork’s nest is good luck for the farm and clearly they help to provide a secure pole or chimney for their huge nests.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We loved this moment. Like a group of wild stallions, this large group of goats led by the Billy were running free across the fields. At this point, he stopped and checked us out, as did all of his followers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And then they’re off. What a good and unexpected moment.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We noticed early today a road sign advising drivers to watch for cows crossing the road. This is a new concept for us - we understand deer crossings. As we rode today we understood the need for the sign as there is typically no fencing on the farms and all animals roam free: chickens, cows, goats, etc. Only the dogs are tethered.

Poppies are beginning to bloom along the side of the road. It was a welcome stop to admire the flowers as the road is very bumpy today with many heaves in the asphalt due to roots and winter weather.
Heart 2 Comment 0

And then, just as we were feeling a bit frustrated by the endless bumpy roads, ongoing rural countryside (pretty but where are the bakeries?!)  the most unexpected event occurred. We had sat down in a bus shelter to have tea and bread with peanut butter, when Jan, the man in the photo below appeared, and asked if we would like to come in for a cup of coffee. 

This lovely family, Jan and Uvszala (parents) and their children Dominik and Micholina, shared their midday meal with us as well as coffee and fresh homemade cheesecake for dessert. We had a typical Polish meal of cooked cabbage, potatoes, pork ribs with gravy and it was delicious. More than the food though, the gracious, open hospitality we received from this lovely family touched us.We wish them well.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Once again, Google Translate was put to the test during our visit. We discovered that English/Polish translations can be pretty weird, but it did lead to more laughter. When all else fails, smiles and gestures go a long way. 

As we got ready to leave, Uvszala appeared with a jar of her canned cherries (drink the liquid and eat the cherries) and two pieces of her cheesecake. Wow, so delicious. We will not forget this special encounter. The family were surprised that they were the first family that had offered us this type of welcome. We assured them that Poles are generally very welcoming and kind to us and reinforced that this has been a unique experience in our travels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loved this whimsical front yard. They had also made a planter from hub caps.
Heart 1 Comment 0
What a unique church in this rural village. You wonder how a wooden church could survive the test of time...fire and so many wars.
Heart 3 Comment 0
What an odd sight-as we entered Trzcianka,we saw the first sign of industry for some time. We will try to get a bed here tonight. Once again we can’t book ahead, so we will hope for the best.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stork parents work very hard to care for their young -it is a shared job.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The parent is regurgitating the food to feed her impatient chick. The sounds we hear from below and the excited bobbing of the chick is interesting to watch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A beautiful day
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 1,609 km (999 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0