Rest day in Tangermunde - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2019

Rest day in Tangermunde

We woke up early this morning, the alarm had been set, Barry made coffee and we were psyching ourselves up to get on the road. We knew that we needed a good start as it promises to be pretty hot today. 

We made a valiant effort, but after having breakfast in our room, we both fell asleep again without intending to. One would get up and the other would go back to sleep, and so on. Finally, we surrendered to the reality that we were too tired to head out. We need a true day of rest and hopefully relief from the bites that are driving us a bit mad.  So, we booked for another night here and went back to sleep.

Today  was just what the doctor ordered -a restorative day of rest. Our booking site gave us a super discount at Hotel Schwarzenegger Adler, the clerk let  us stay on in our super quiet, cool room and we were happy to stay put.

We ate at the Metzgerei by the hotel €5 for one of,their meals of the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A short walk in a Tangermunde reminded me what a picturesque historic city it is. We are fortunate to have booked at a hotel in the centre of town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Loved the detail on this door.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A typical side street in Tangermunde.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The tragic figure of Grete Minde memorialized in bronze. Grete married poorly and her husband squandered her dowry. She was accused of setting the devastating fire in Tangermunde (the accusation backed by her husband) and was ultimately burned at the stake in 1619. Her name was finally cleared by the esteemed German novelist, Theodore Fontaine of the 19th century who researched Grete and wrote a novel about her.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rathaus, Tangermunde constructed in the 1430’s.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The three staggered gables are the most prominent features of the town hall. As well, a stork nest is perched on its roof.
Heart 2 Comment 0
St. Stephen’s Church, Tangermunde dominates the Main Street. It’s Scherer organ dates back to 1623 and is regarded as one of the top 10 organs in Europe.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Apart from heading out for lunch at the Metzgerei and a visit to the Eis Cafe, we pretty much lounged away the day, reading, getting the journal up to date, doing laundry...all the stuff that can be hard to fit into a busy day of cycling.  We are both feeling a bit more human  after our idyllic day  in Tangermunde, a small city of 10,00 dating back 1000 years.

Tomorrow we ride to Magdeburg. Wish us luck as it is predicted to be hotter (up to 37)  and a storm in the Sahara will spread its effect here with Saharan dust carried in the wind. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0