Rees, Germany to Bronkhorst, Holland - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

April 25, 2019

Rees, Germany to Bronkhorst, Holland

As predicted it was a stormy night with heavy rain and winds. It was interesting to watch the huge river cargo boats navigate the river with big white caps.

We were so tired last night and we slept well. The weather has changed to be cooler and windy with a threat of rain,

Top marks to Rheinpark am Rhein for having secure parking in their underground garage. It was a bit of a push getting up and out though..
Heart 0 Comment 0
We love staying on this interesting and busy river. Last year we stayed on the Rhine as well, but we enjoyed the view from our tent.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was a big debate this year whether or not to bring our camping gear.  It is a great feeling to be self sufficient on the road. In our lives at home we have so much stuff and it is a good reminder that life can be so good with so little. Basically, if it doesn’t fit easily on the bike, then it doesn’t come.

We love camping, but increasingly as we get older, we don’t love hauling all of the gear we need to camp. On a trip like this, Poland and the Baltic countries are so inexpensive, that it is not worthwhile bringing our tent. Germany is a bit more expensive, but we know the country so well, that we are able to source reasonably priced accommodation. 

The town centre in Rees
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sharing the view in Rees.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Local spargel (white asparagus) is available. We have seen huge lineups at booths selling fresh local sparkle. we must have some while it is still available.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI LOVE SPARGEL!!!!!! That's one big reason I did my Germany bike trip in April/May, because it is season then. I love it with the Hollandaise sauce over it!! :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Signage for bike routes in Germany is usually excellent.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw this impressive stag at a deer farm
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHe looks sleepy!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
What fun to see these Velo mobiles on their way to Spezi. Last year we went to Spezi, which is the world’s largest recumbent bike festival. Last year 10,000 people attended the show. You can check out photos on our journal from last year. We stopped to talk to the fellow in the last velomoble. When he saw our Canadian flag he pulled up his shirt sleeve and showed us a tattoo of a Canadian flag.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The promenade along the Rhine river at Emmerich
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mighty Rhine River
Heart 2 Comment 0
We are only five kilometres to the Dutch border
Heart 1 Comment 0
We love this statue at Emmerich
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we approached the Dutch border, the houses began to change. We love the painted shutters and gardening around their homes.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We are back in Holland
Heart 2 Comment 0
Directly on the border, the road changed to a standard we appreciate about the Netherlands.. Two lanes (in red) for cyclists and a single lane for cars driving in both directions to share. There are many countries which have a great infrastructure for cycling, but only in Holland do we feel that cyclists get the same (if not more) consideration as motor vehicles.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWonderful infrastructure!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Oh yes, the sprinkles that are so popular to put on your toast in the morning.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the perks of shopping for groceries in Holland is the free coffee that is available....and it is good coffee. Some stores even offer a comfortable place to relax and enjoy your coffee. So civilized.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHow nice and considerate! I agree - CIVILIZED is the word! Whenever I visit Europe, I always say they are CIVILIZED! The U.S. could learn a thing or two!!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Shopping is a good experience here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have discovered that tomorrow is a special day in the Netherlands. It is a national holiday in celebration of the King's birthday. The orange banners are just the beginning signs of what will be a festive affair across the country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A family of 7 out for a ride. The dad has two children, one in front and one behind, the mom has one behind her and the two older sisters are riding their own bikes. The dad is helping to guide the younger sister. It is heartwarming to see this strong love and culture of cycling so prevalent in all ages.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesGreat shot, and inspirational.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

As the ride progressed today, we decided that wanted to try to ride about 70 km, and when we looked at hotels.com, we discovered a very interesting possibility in a wee village called Bronkhorst. In fact, Bronkhorst is the smallest city in the Netherlands with only 157 residents.  It has this status due to a decree in 1482 by the Lord Ginsberg VII and as a result, this tiny city continues to have limited self government and rights to administer the law.

Herberg de Gouden Leeuw is one of the many historic picturesque buildings in this wee city and once again, it would be normally priced out of range for us. It is known for its fine food and character filled accommodation. When we arrived, they had mistakenly already  filled our  compact double room, so they gave us a 2 storey, 3 bedroom apartment, all for 60 € and this included a deluxe breakfast buffet.  We felt spoiled by  the space and amenities. But with the weather closing in, we happily settled in. It rained hard all night and the temperatures have dropped. Glad we aren’t camping,

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 250 km (155 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0