On the road again - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2019

On the road again

Partings are bittersweet especially when you are not sure when you can meet again.  Karin had made an early run to the local Backerei for the special buns that we love so much. They have the delicate layers of a croissant with the structure of a bun. They are delicious and topped with butter and local Beelitz  buckwheat honey or cream cheese and Norwegian smoked salmon, the combination is memorable. 

Our sleeping cabin at Margaret’s. We found out that it was made in Canada and shipped to Germany by boat. What are the odds that we would be sleeping in a Canadian wooden cabin in the middle of Germany?
Heart 2 Comment 0
We really like this tasty syrup made with sugar beets. It is not too sweet and it goes nicely with toast, waffles, ice cream...the process to make this syrup requires cooking the beets and much time in a press. Interestingly, due to the way it is made, this syrup does not lose its nutritional value, has low calories and is quite a healthy treat.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting - I've never seen/heard of a syrup made from sugar beets.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
The open view from the big windows of Karin’s living room to her backyard and garden brings the outdoors in.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Karin takes such good care of us. She packed us a yummy lunch for today’s journey.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHow nice of Karin - - she really took care of you all very well with all her meals!!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Loved these peonies from Karin’s garden.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Karin and Mary Ellen - we are packed and ready to go. Until we meet again...
Heart 3 Comment 0
The route is following forest, parks and lakes and is consistently on a good surface. We are seeing lots of logging here, yet a healthy forest remains. Selective logging is an approach that is refreshing to see.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It can be magical for us to ride through the forests in these historic areas as we sometimes comes across remnants of castles and old gates like this.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Today we a re riding on the west side of Schwielowsee and are enjoying seeing more of this huge lake that we toured with Karin a few days ago.
Heart 1 Comment 0
When we rode through the Harz region earlier in Germany, we heard much about the wild cats. This is our first sighting in this region. This impressive statue is one of a pair which were erected here in 1908 and is in Geltow on the bank of the Templinersee
Heart 1 Comment 0

We are glad that we decided to ride to Berlin today and not take the train.. The weather is good (for now!) and we can take our time over breakfast and savour the time with Karin before we head out.

The R1 route continues to be excellent, with a smooth hard surface for riding,  following lakes, winding through beautiful forests and villages. It was interesting to experience a different area of Schwielowsee, and follow the lakes to Potsdam and through parks and forest to Berlin. Despite the size of the city, we found the approach to Berlin to be very relaxed with a good infrastructure for cycling. 

As we came down the path from the bridge, we couldn’t help but stop to admire these incredible statues of these cats. We were unable to translate the sign describing their significance. Nonetheless, we enjoyed seeing them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we approached Potsdam we could see much affluence and modernity reflected in the architecture. The Kongresshotel on the Templinersee is an example. It features a number of buildings like these which are connected in creative ways and jut out to the water like piers or ships at dock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So many waterways, like Schwielowsee, Havel River, Templinersee, etc make our ride interesting today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We appreciate the excellent signage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This striking statue caught our attention for its creativity and surprising location in the middle of a busy road crossing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A monastery across the lake from where sat enjoying Karin’s packed lunch.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting monastery building/architecture.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Another fascinating structure in the forest. There is an art exhibit being held there, but we must press on!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Now this is nice. We deviated from the route to follow this lovely paved route of several km which follows the Autobahn towards Berlin. No cars allowed...just walkers, rollerbladers, bikes....and with a treed buffer, we were protected from the sounds of the vehicles.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesMy efforts to understand German are often foiled by their practice of running words together. For example, "aufeinander". Is that aufein ander? is it au feinander? Only if you happen to know the word, or if you realize that it is auf ein ander, can you (I) finally surmise that the sign advises pedestrians, bikers, and skaters to watch out for each other. That is, to take care "on each other".
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
We decided that this hotel in the middle of a huge highway would not be our first choice. There are 3 or 4 lanes on either side of the hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are getting closer to Berlin and it is getting interesting. This is not the forest anymore! However, the routing is excellent and protected for cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Life in the big city -fascinating. A balcony over the S Bahn is a long way from what we know at home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Victory Tower built in 1871 -an impressive site from a distance. Two years ago it was restored and the gold is like a beacon as you approach it.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI walked up the Victory Tower when I visited Berlin last summer. :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
A close up of the top of the Victory Tower. One can climb the tower for a great view.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
At this point, in Berlin, the riding is very civilized and calm, despite the traffic. Lots of bikes here.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Things changed a bit when we got to the Brandenburg Gate as suddenly we were surrounded by tourists and the riding was compromised by much construction, detours and traffic. We followed the example of locals and found our way.

We are finally at the Brandenburg Gate and it is indeed an impressive area. Suddenly we are surrounded by tourists which feels odd as it seems that we have been on our own for much of the trip.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

When we were in a Berlin a few years ago, we were fascinated with the phenomenon of the figure of Ampelmann on the traffic lights and how the passionate support of Berliners saved this iconic image of East Berlin.  

After the wall came down, the government tried to replace the Ampelmann with standard lights but the collective protest saved him.

Ampelmann standing strong.
Heart 3 Comment 0
And a happy Ampelmann strides across the street when the light is green.
Heart 3 Comment 0
At this point in our ride through Berlin, the combination of heavy car and bike traffic as well as construction made for a challenging situation. It is a bit of a free for all. We followed the example of locals and found the courage to join in. At times vehicles were wedged on an angle in front of us, and we would all just go around the cars. We learned that in Berlin, you van ride on the sidewalk only if you are 8 years of age or younger.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltInteresting -- I didn't know you can ride on the sidewalk only if you are 8 years and younger. Good idea!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltTV Tower! I went up that and enjoyed the great views and a pretty sunset!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltMuseum Island! Nice area to walk around also, and to catch a boat ride on the water. :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
We could feel the thunder storm coming, but we had no idea that it would be so bad. The sounds were terrifying and the rain was torrential -not rideable. Lightning was flashing all around us. We took refuge under a train overpass. Barry stayed with the bike and Mary Ellen took the umbrella and went in search of a hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltOh my! Nasty storm!! I hate lightning!! Good you took cover!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
And the rain keeps coming.
Heart 1 Comment 0
After a few hours it settled down and we headed on.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Suddenly, the rain stopped...the skies cleared and it was lovely. So we headed on to Köpenick where we had booked a hotel.  We had about 10 km to go and suddenly, without warning, the storm was back. Once again, we had to deal with torrential rain but  without the thunder. The roads were flooding and there was no opportunity to stop, so we carried on and arrived at the hotel looking like drowned rats. Hot showers were the first priority and then  our room was transformed into a drying area for our clothes and bags.

What a crazy day. We started the day rejoicing that for the first time in weeks, we were riding in shorts without jackets  and by the end of the day, we were hypothermic from the rain and cold.

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 1,249 km (776 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Kathleen ClassenWhat is with the weather this year? We are warm and sunny in Provence for now, but have no confidence it will last. Enjoy Berlin. It is a fantastic city.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonGlad you are enjoying Berlin! A fascinating city. We have a granddaughter there and visit often. Hope the weather gets a little more sane! You are doing so well braving the storms, you deserve something better now!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago