Off the beaten track in rural Poland to Drezdenko - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2019

Off the beaten track in rural Poland to Drezdenko

Through National Forests, villages and farms

Well, if we needed a reminder that we are getting older (65, that is), then the way we felt morning after  a 92 km ride gave it to us.  Our legs feel a bit sluggish, but the sunshine beckons and we are eager to carry on.

Polish breakfasts do not disappoint as the emphasis is on fresh veg and salads, freshly prepared eggs to order and lots of variety.
Heart 3 Comment 0
What a surprise...Canadian maple syrup and Polish style pancakes. They were very good with a heartier texture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The salad at the bottom was delicious and the pastry was stuffed with apples.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Seavo has a place of honour in the second dining room.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Hotel Neo, highly recommended.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On our way out of town, we followed the river and saw this man is pursuing a favourite pastime here, fishing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have enjoyed staying in this small city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rural country is never far from the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This village had a series of life size carved figures featured throughout the town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was one of my favourites.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This stork’s nest with 2 hungry chicks were clamouring for food. Their mouths were open and the parent was doing her best to keep up with their demands.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Never a dull moment for us on the bike when we get to experience times like this.
Heart 7 Comment 0
We enjoyed seeing these typical carved figures and stopped to make our lunch by the lady with the bowl. She has weathered some tough times, but the spirit shines through.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We bought the 2 guidebooks of the R1 from Berlin to St Petersburg by Detlef Kaden (no other guidebooks seem to be available). We’ll include a photo of them later so that you know what it looks like. It indicates that this area had poor trail surface, and we thought it would be ok as the first few km were great...

However, always trust the book as we got grounded by the deep sand and had to turn around,
Heart 2 Comment 0

The only downside of taking the suggested alternate route is that, at the end, you must share a very busy highway with big trucks for about 25 km. We did fine and the trucks were fairly easy to get along with!

We really like the creative design of bus stops here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This road wise, world weary cat looked at us with some skepticism but she stayed closeby to check us out.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And at the same moment, another cat raced across the road at the village centre. We think that there are a lot of wild cats here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For the last 10 km we are riding through another National Forest.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,538 km (955 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0