It’s Travel day...Saltspring Island Canada to Germany - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

April 17, 2019

It’s Travel day...Saltspring Island Canada to Germany

Mary Ellen is happy to be on our way - this must mean that the jobs are done.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It has been a bit of a mad rush to complete the necessary last minute tasks before leaving our home for 3 months...but we have done it. And, with the help of our good friend Kurt, and his dog Nina, we were given a ride to the ferry as well as to the airport in Sidney. What a civilized and stress free experience it is to fly from Victoria. We love the ease of flying out of this small, user friendly international airport as the typical wait time at security is about 5 minutes.  As people who live on an island and operate on "island time", we like that.

We are waiting at Fulford Harbour on Saltspring Island for our ferry, the Skeena Queen to arrive for the half hour trip to Vancouver Island near Victoria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A 12 minute flight on this small plane will take us to Vancouver where we will transfer to the large Lufthansa jet bound for Germany. With our bags already checked and no need for further security checks in Vancouver, we can now relax and enjoy the journey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But wait, isn't that our trailer on the tarmac (wheels are stored inside) waiting to be loaded? We watched for it to go on the ramp before we boarded the plane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vancouver Airport is truly an outstanding facility with beautiful art installations throughout, like these First Nations wood carvings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The oversized aquarium features sea creatures and vegetation typical of our region of the Pacific Coast. We always take the time to stop and appreciate this special feature.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our Lufthansa 747 jet is waiting for us - compared to the small plane we just took from Victoria, this is amazing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Frankfurt airport is one of the busiest and largest airports in Europe.
Heart 1 Comment 0
German engineering and design is often on display in the Frankfurt airport.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Enjoying our first German coffee and chocolate croissant as we wait for Cora.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And here she is .... Cora has arrived to drive us to their home. It is so good to see her again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped by the local Getranke Markt (store which sells only beverages) to stock up on German beer for our stay. We marvel at the choice of great local beer with an average cost of 49 cents to under a dollar. It is cheaper than water!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spring has sprung in the Westerwald region. It will be the hottest Easter weekend in 30 years.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first meal of Alaskan pollack and potato salad - yum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A yummy dinner welcomes us back to the Reitz farm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Georg's creativity came to the rescue in creating Easter napkins
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0