Holzminden to Einbeck - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

May 5, 2019

Holzminden to Einbeck

An easy going Sunday ride

Hellers Krug Hotel on the outskirts of Holzminden is a family run business with a very successful restaurant. We highly recommend this place for the great breakfast and wonderful staff who are so accommodating and make you feel welcome.

Here we are with Carsten in front of his hotel, Hellers Krug in Holzminden.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This entrance to the Hotel shows that it dates back to 1756.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The impressive antenna for Carsten’s ham radio passion.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we were leaving, we were talking to the proprietor of the hotel about the tall antennae which had been installed behind the hotel. We discovered that he is an avid ham radio operator who prefers using Morse code, like our friend Georg.  In fact, he told us with a rueful laugh that he even took his portable radio  on his  honeymoon. He also told us an amazing story about a Danish fellow, who had stayed at the hotel and  travelled around the world on bike...and you guessed it, the fellow was also a ham radio operator. We will share the link to this fellows’s journal  online when Carsten send it to us.

We really enjoyed the incredible breakfast buffet complete with eggs, sausages, smoked salmon and the selection of cheeses and meats, as well as Bircher Museli.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The food was very good, and the all important coffee was excellent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Behind the bar in the traditional Gasthaus restaurant. They are featuring the locally made Allesheimer beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Allesheimer Brauerei is in the wee village of Allesheim just south of Bevern. Tours are available, just not on Sunday.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Bevern we toured the Weserrenaissance Schloss Museum in Bevern , which was free of charge and has roots going back to the early 17th century.

Riding through the arched entrance to the inner courtyard, just as the nobility would have done on their horses centuries ago.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The exterior of the Schloß has a delicate appearance with ornamental plaster in tones of white and blue.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The inner courtyard is very large and decorated in a different style.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the interesting exhibits in the Museum showed customs, furnishings and styles of dress of the area. In the period pre1920’s, poverty in the region meant that most women in the region got married in a black dress with the luxurious addition of a white veil. A practical solution as a black dress has many uses whereas white would be for one occasion only.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As it is Sunday, and our tradition in Germany has been to ride to Garcia’s with Georg and Cora, we felt the need to get in from the cold andenjoy a yummy torte with a Cafe Creme at the bakery.

This torte’s for you Steve and Dodie! Encased in chocolate ganache with a layer of marzipan, layers of cake with buttercream and a layer of cherries that had been soaked in Kirsch. Wow..
Heart 4 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesThanks. It looks fantastic.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Riding today was outstanding.  

We turned down a narrow gravel road and were puzzled to see this interesting row of sandstone pieces from Cathedrals around Europe. We assume that the sandstone must originate in this area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This piece is from the Schloss that we have just toured in Bevern.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Rolling hills gave us incredible vistas to enjoy and we went through several villages, some of which offer well preserved medieval buildings and historical connections.

Very happy chickens in their free range portable enclosure.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Well, this is interesting. This stretch of road is an experiment. There are testing the method we have seen in Holland of adding red cycle lanes on the side of the road with a single lane for cars. This is useful when the space doesn’t allow for separate space for bikes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Spring is certainly coming. We love seeing the trees in blossom.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This ominous looking sky is actually quite beautiful.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A thoughtful rest stop for cyclists with a covered sitting area to keep out the elements and maps of the complete route we are riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Very informative information boards about this region of the R1 in both German and English. We appreciate that.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Very interesting to see the route that we are following for the next few months. It is a bit daunting to see how far we have to go but excited as well. If we stick to the route we have planned, we will not go to Kalinigrad and will circle around to Vilnius in Lithuania and then head west to the Coronian spit adjacent to Kalinigrad.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Radler Rastplatz was a great place to have lunch.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltHow nice to have this spot to take cover and eat/rest!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

The area ahead for the next 20 km is quite expensive, so we chose to stop a bit early at Hotel Niedersaschen, a few km out of Einbeck in Kuventhal.  This Hotel Garni is meticulous and well reviewed. They offer the famous Einbeck beer on the honour system from a frig in the breakfast room We have been quite tired lately and Barry is having trouble with his back, so it will be good to have an early night and get back on track tomorrow with higher mileage, if we can.

Einbeck is known for their beer. We celebrate a good ending of our day in our room
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 737 km (458 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0