Heading out of Gdansk - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2019

Heading out of Gdansk

We have really enjoyed visiting Gdansk. So much so, that we tried to stay an extra night at Villa Stratus.  Unfortunately, the Villa is full, so the owner called around for us, but without success.  

We have booked our Stena Line ferry tickets going from Gydnia to Karlskrona, Sweden for tomorrow night. We could have easily stayed in Gdansk area another night as the distance is not too far to the ferry.(about 60 km). Since we can’t get a room, we have decided to sightsee a bit more in Gdansk before riding on. We will stay somewhere along the way. It will be fun to get to the Baltic Sea today and ride along it to Gydnia. The three towns in close proximity along the Baltic are referred to the tri-cities: Gdansk, Sopot and Gydnia.

A collages of photos and LP’s of our host and his band O.N.A. at Villa Stratus in Gdansk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we were leaving we had a chat with our neighbours at the hotel. They are from Warsaw and were giving us a tip to visit a special church in Gdansk before we leave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We love seeing these banners celebrating the 30th Anniversary.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Medieval buildings like this need continual reparations.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
This shop was recommended to us as a place to find souvenirs that are genuine and made in Poland. What a great shop with unique items. We both got t-shirts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now this is an impressive downspout. Love the tongue and fangs.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Beautiful Gdansk. This is our 3rd day riding around the city centre and it is much easier now that the Solidarity crowds are not there.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A happy school group enjoying ice cream.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had to return to this extraordinary Lody one last time before heading out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
We also visited this extraordinary shop featuring traditional Kashubian embroidery and clothing made of Polish linen. Monika designs the clothing, and her mom(pictured) makes them. They are both masters of the traditional needlework of their Kashubian heritage.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Here is Monika with some of her creations. Mary Ellen bought a couple of dresses from her. What a special shop with extraordinary things.
Heart 1 Comment 0
She had such beautiful things for sale - it was hard to decide. Everything is of Kashubian origin: wood carvings, tablecloths, clothing, napkins, pottery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The beloved Polish born Pope.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the recommendation of people we met at our hotel,  we visited this extraordinary church, St. Bridget. Best known as a sanctuary for the Solidarity leaders during Martial Law. It was almost completely destroyed by the Red Army in WWII and it was not until 1973 that it was rebuilt, based on the original designs dating from 1394. 

The standout feature is the altar made of Amber and gold. It is a work in progress and is stunning.  The altar is a tribute to the Papacy of Pope Paul John II and the regaining of Polish independence.

The first glimpse of the Amber Altar is stunning.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that church Altar with the amber and gold is unbelievable!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Barry BartlettIt was stunning and hard to capture…thanks .
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
The extraordinary Amber altar features many elements. The Virgin Mary, a map of Poland, figures of famous religious leaders in Poland, etc.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The gold likeness of a White Eagle, the emblem of Poland
Heart 1 Comment 0
A key feature of the Altar at the centre is the Virgin Mary, painted by Father. Franciszek Znaniecki which was inspired by his experiences during the Worker’s Massacre where 18 people were killed by security forces. Below is map of Poland, created in Amber, with Solidarity written across it. The virgin Mary’s train is made of white Amber.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This wall features 200 crosses that are a memorial of the Soviet massacre of Polish officers at Katyn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Priest in the photo was very involved in the Solidarity Movement and was referred to as the Solidarity Chaplain. In this church, he gave refuge to the supporters of Solidarity from arrest.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Solidarity Chaplin is laid at rest in his former church.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In 2010, while, working on restorations, the  crypt shown below was discovered containing 100’s of bones dating from the early 17th century. 

In the crypt, there are the relics of St. Bridget of Sweden as well as some skulls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the skulls that was discovered in the crypt.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The wording at the top contains a partially destroyed inscription, Memento Mori DC “remember death”. It is assumed that the original inscription was Memento Mori MDC. There are many theories as to the origin of the bones and the date.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The exterior of St.Bridget’s.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is about 6 km from the centre of Gdansk to the coastline. We arrived at the Baltic Sea, and people were having a blast on this hot day. People were swimming, sunbathing, playing beach volleyball, just enjoying the day. It was a very pleasant ride to the Baltic as we had a bike path alongside the road the complete way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking out on the pier was lovely -we have missed the sea air.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bliss for us: bike lanes and no cars in a beautiful place, and bliss for them: it’s a day at the beach!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wind surfing section where swimming is not allowed due to the currents.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Once again, we are seeing EU money at work, in the building of new bike paths along the coast. Hand laid bricks are being placed with great skill and without a space.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Charmaine RuppoltWow, the bike paths being hand laid with bricks is impressive! Lots of work!!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Barry BartlettLove that about Europe where we often see the trades working in traditional ways.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Just watching this gave us the shivers. Imagine doing this job, unravelling the advertisement at such a height with ropes secured to a tree at ground level.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After another full day of enjoying Gdansk and visiting the Baltic Sea and its beaches, we were happy to stop in Sopot for the night. Tomorrow we will have an easy (we hope!) 20 km ride to Gydnia and the ferry terminal for our ride to Sweden.  Exciting day ahead!

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 2,085 km (1,295 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0