....and in Muenster we will stay - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

April 30, 2019

....and in Muenster we will stay

We went to bed last night with the intention of heading out today, but when we got up we reflected that we have  wanted to visit Muenster for some time and shouldn’t rush off.  We really like the easy going and relaxed nature of this bustling city. People seem to have a good quality of life here and enjoy their city and each other. Having had the good fortune of visiting bicycle friendly places such as Ferrara, Italy..anywhere in Holland...Montreal, Quebec...Muenster easily hits a high note in this category. 

We are able to stay in the studio apt for another night, so we are all set.

Barry, in our apartment, doing research on what we should see in Muenster today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

First we visited a HUGE bike shop nearby. We just can’t help ourselves as we both love great bike shops.  Hurter XXL is incredible. 

Heart 4 Comment 0

Not only do they have countless bikes, there also have a test track which circles the store, and any tool,bike part or accessory you can imagine is on display. It was a treat for us to just walk around and see things that we might only have seen  before online. 

A stylish neck scarf becomes an air bag for cyclists.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Loved the Abus station where you test the strength rating on their locks.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We were able to stock up on brake pads for our hydraulic brakes pads (not available at other shops since we started), inner tubes, etc. It was fun to watch young and old testing bikes in the store.

It’s amazing there are no accidents with distracted shoppers. It shows how accustomed people in Muenster are sharing their space with cyclists.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAlways neat to see what bike stores have!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Bikes are always there. At rush hour we were faster than cars.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We have always wondered how the items that are requested by the pharmacist arrive at a slot behind them so quickly. Julia the Pharmacist assumed us that no people or children are working behind the wall rushing to fill their orders. But there is a robotic arm that retrieved the item and delivers it almost instantly.

We really appreciate Apothekes in Germany. The Pharmacist Julia was very helpful with our need for Voltaren and allergy relief.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rathaus and other civic buildings in the Principal square.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
St. Paul’s Cathedral is an immense church with intricate sandstone. It is renowned for many things including the Astronomical Clock, its entrance called The Paradise which features life size statues of Jesus and the 12 disciples, and for its Priest and Cardinal Galen who took the courageous stance of defying the Nazi policies.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI love checking out old churches overseas! :)
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Magnificent pipes for the pipe organ. They were built in 1987 and there are 5,889 pipes with 74 registers. The complex design allows the organist to access the pipes on the west side as well, which in total provides 93 registers and 7136 pipes. Oh, to be able to attend concert here. It would be magnificent.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Trying to share the beautiful details of the pipes.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The Astronomical Clock is something one shouldn’t miss. It was constructed in 1542, a masterpiece of mechanics and considered the  finest in the German speaking world.  The details are so complex, that it takes time to simply sit and appreciate its craftsmanship. 

The church suffered much damage during WWII, but the workings of the clock were removed to keep it safe.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The lower dial is a calendar with the most important feast days and will work correctly until 2071. The upper bigger dial shows the course of the sun and the time of the day.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Functional, mysterious and beautiful
Heart 3 Comment 0
Each side of the clock features a pair of figures who strike the bell on the quarter hour. One side features a skeleton (death) and Cronus, the ancient god of time and the other this couple.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In the cathedral is the Tomb of the beloved priest, Clemens August Graf von Galen, who died in 1946 and was beatified in 2005 for the stance he took against Nazi policies in the Second World War,
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another place that was recommended to us by our friend on Saltspring. Nordstern is very popular with locals for their incredible chicken -and they’ve been doing it for 100 years. The guys at the next table come regularly and play cards, drink beer and then eat.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lake Aasee is a favourite place in Muenster. It is a 40 hectare man made lake which extends from the old town for over 2 km. Riding back to our apt from dinner, we could see what a beautiful place it is to relax surrounded by parkland.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Klaus is the owner of the place where we are staying. A good host and very friendly. He and his dog Cooper had come to say hi when we got home. He was barbecuing dinner and hence the fork.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Glad we stayed here an extra day. Muenster has been a great experience and we like that it is not touristic - never saw tourist shops or tour hustlers - and we enjoyed seeing a city whose priorities are  in creating a quality of life for its residents, and if you a visitor , you’re welcome to take part too.

Today's ride: 24 km (15 miles)
Total: 472 km (293 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0