A windy ride through the Swedish countryside - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2019

A windy ride through the Swedish countryside

We are full of anticipation today as we are about to embark on a journey of discovery in a country new to Mary Ellen and a repeat visit for Barry. He has not been back since 1970 when he was on a cycling trip with his parents. Many things have changed of course, but the important things have not, like the people and the countryside. He is enjoying rekindling fond memories.

We  know that we may have some challenges finding accommodation in the price range we like, but on the upside, we are encouraged by our visits to supermarkets as we see that some of our staples like  yogurt, coffee, peanut butter and fruit/nut filled muesli are well priced. Sliced cheese and meats like salami and ham are also ok. So, we are going to be fine.  And we sense from our 2 days here, that Sweden feels like a country we will enjoy, both for the cycling infrastructure and the culture. At times, the landscape is reminiscent of Canada, yet different as well. As Islanders and West Coast Canadians, we have missed being on the ocean  and all that goes with it. A more relaxed lifestyle, fresh sea air and the beauty of the changing sea and its wildlife make us feel at home. 

Image not found :(
The laundry facilities, reserved for the free use of the guests at Hotel Archipelago, is much appreciated. We also suspect that people we meet will appreciate that we took advantage of this amenity.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
We learned about the Russian sub that went aground at Karlskrona and is featured in this painting at the Hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
The couple who own the hotel have been busy renovating this property and as well, installing a brewery. They will be serving their beer from the pumps in their restaurant and also sell it at their storefront. Sad.y for us, it will be ready to begin operation next week.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
There was much to like about this hotel. We especially enjoyed the superb coffeemaker which offered special coffees and espresso. This was available to us whenever we liked.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have noticed that safety is a high priority in Sweden. We have learned a new word: skum (foam)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Strong winds today as you can see by the fountain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
This pretty collection of heritage maritime homes is often featured in posters for Sweden. Nice for us that the wind gives us a nice view of the Swedish flag.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It was fun to watch the parent geese with their chirping goslings between them as they bobbed their way through the waves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We liked seeing this cargo bike.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just like in Poland, , bus shelters provide a good place to eat our lunch and get out of the wind. Our route is very circuitous today, so we had it all...side winds, tailwinds and headwinds.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltGreat idea to have your lunch inside the bus stop! :) Gets you out of the elements, and a place to sit! :)
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Lush countryside with profitable looking farms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We can’t believe the size of the rhododendrons today. Some are taller than the house and full of blooms This seems to be the favourite colour.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Milk cans for pick up at this dairy farm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We have been riding quite a bit in the countryside and we have just reached the sea at Ronnehamm. The wind continues.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We now know that this is an important cycling sign to look for while we are following the Baltic Route to Malmo. This is our route. There are many cycling routes that go to villages and towns, but they are brown coloured.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 2,195 km (1,363 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0