A lazy day of planning and visiting in sunny Fitchenwalde - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2019

A lazy day of planning and visiting in sunny Fitchenwalde

Tomorrow we will leave Fitchenwalde and head to Berlin and then Poland. It has been a wonderful 3 days with Karin, reconnecting and having a holiday within a holiday. Aren’t we lucky that our friend Kurt has a sister here. We hope to return and see her again one day soon.

We feel that time has gotten away from us a bit on this trip for 3 reasons: first the terrible weather slowed us down at times, Barry’s back pain cut short the riding on some days and then, the motor dying didn’t help. Nonetheless, the trip has been great and we heartily endorse the R1 route so far. Today was a day to make some decisions about what we can do in the time left, and what our options are regarding trains and ferries. At one point, we were going to take the train from Beelitz-Heilstatten (nearby) to Berlin then take another train to the Polish border. A three hour journey would replace 3 days of riding. But then we thought, when else will we get the chance to ride through Berlin (especially in the projected rain and thunder) and experience this grand city from a bike. So we’ll probably take a train from Ostkreutz Bahnhof in east Berlin to Poland and save 2 days. 

We have also explored ferry options should we run short on time. There are ferries from Gdansk to Stockholm, Riga, etc. But if all goes well, we will ride to Tallinn as planned. Only time and good luck will tell.

Karin with her friend Margaret who lives nearby and has provided us with a place to sleep. We appreciate Margaret’s kindness and hospitality. Today Margaret invited us over for cake and coffee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Karin and Margaret looking at our journal on her phone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is bittersweet as this is our last evening with Karin before we head out for Berlin in the morning. Karin is an excellent cook and is very accomplished at seafood. She owned and ran 2 Fish Delis in Berlin before she retired and really knows how to cook fish. We had salmon from Norway, Flounder and warm potato salad...truly a meal to remember.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat fish meal looks delicious!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0