A Hot Ride to Torgau - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2019

A Hot Ride to Torgau

TWe are pleasantly surprised at how affectionate we feel towards Wittenberg, this being our second visit here on this trip. Considering we arrived exhausted after riding 70 km on  a day of extreme heat in the high 30’s, the  fact that we enjoyed being back in Wittenberg is a good thing.

Our impression was tainted before by our bad experience at the Acron Hotel as well as the unfortunate breakdown of our e-motor.  The weather in May was bad, cold and rainy, and we felt trapped here trying to find someone who could help us with our bike.  Full kudos to Akkurad, the company in Koln who originally installed the motor on our bike, as they sourced a fellow who specializes in recumbents and bafang e-motors, a day’s ride north of Wittenberg. We did stay here 5 years ago on another tour and enjoyed Wittenberg, so it is good to be in a better frame of mind. What a difference warm weather and sunshine can make, as well as staying in a far better hotel. Having an ice cream cone upon arrival probably helped as well.

Barry “chillin” in the dining room after breakfast before heading out into the heat of the day
Heart 0 Comment 0
We do recommend this older hotel in Wittenberg which offers great service, large comfortable rooms, a good buffet breakfast and at a reasonable price.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Forgot to mention that the bike storage was incredible. At first we were sceptical as it was in the underground garage -not our first choice -but metal rails were installed along the wall for secure locking, tools were provided. Thumbs up. There were about 60 bikes when we arrived. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Dropped by the local bike shop to get some degreaser for cleaning the chains. This wee pool is too small to jump into, but it was tempting to try.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The windmills in this region are very different from the ones we saw in Holland
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh boy, it is hot. The river isn’t helping today. We had our lunch in this bit of shade and then headed around the corner for a cone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful new stretch of paved bike trail. We have noticed that significant improvements have been made to the Elbe route since we were last here 5 years ago. We were last here a year after a disastrous flooding of the Elbe and some areas were still being repaired.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a sight of green power....wind and solar.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We love these warning signs before a ferry dock....just in case.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The river ferries usually charge us 2.50 euros.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We see so many storks in the fields. They especially love it when farmers are harvesting their crops .
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped at a rest stop to make a coffee and to get out of the sun. It is only about 4000 km to the North Pole. Perfect for our next tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wheat fields in every direction.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 3,168 km (1,967 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0