Fires in Canada! - Seattle to Maine - CycleBlaze

Fires in Canada!

Going with the Flow and Over the Roadblocks

The Canadian wildfires in Alberta have burned at least 2 million acres of land thus far as of May 20, 2023.  The fires, which total ninety-one separate fires at this time burning across Canada, have caused thousands to evacuate, and I am sure  residential destruction as well; I have not researched this yet, but have seen some photos. This is something that has become common place in California over the past few years, and it is more than unsettling, it is stressful and depressing.  I empathize with those affected.  In the past two years, both the Caldor Fire and the Mosquito Fire have ravaged this area.  For us, smoke has been an issue from these fires, with its extremely poor air quality, but so has evacuation warnings and orders.  Fortunately, the  properties in our adjacent areas have remained untouched at this point; however, an entire community only twenty-six miles away was decimated last summer. Complaining about warnings, orders, and smoke seem pretty trivial when others are losing everything and then dealing with the aftermath. 

 When living  in California fire or some kind of other natural disaster event is always on one’s mind.  It is, literally, usually so close to home!  Last summer, when we arrived home from a trip, our area was under evacuation warnings, so as soon as we pulled in the driveway, off came the panniers and into the car they went: camping gear and all the necessities to live at a campground or hotel were pretty much in those panniers.  

With that, we still remain in this natural disaster prone area… When I am outside enjoying the beauty of the valley, looking out at the rolling Sierra Foothills, I wonder what this place would look from the aftermath of a devastating fire.  I take in my surroundings and enjoy what I see knowing that it could all be gone some day.  Destruction has made its way through this valley in the past, and it could easily happen again.  I try to live with the reality that I can’t control these threats and that our lives could be upended at end time. This attitude may be difficult for some to fathom; I realize that. 

I also realize that plans may have to change for various reasons, like in the event of natural disasters; this is how we cope.  If we didn’t life could be really overly stressful and unpleasant. The smoke from the Canadian fires is impacting many parts of our route: Montana and North Dakota; the air quality there and in other places is in the very high, unhealthy index.  Other parts of our route have smoke as well but not as bad; however, all could change very quickly for the better or just hang around for weeks like we have seen in California.  

Our trip starts in twenty-five days, and for now, we are still attempting what we planned, but for the record, it can all change.  And you know what, we will make the best of it and find something as interesting.  We have learned to be extremely adaptable because unpleasant situations in life occur all the time, and by being adaptable  “ we can ensure that we stay afloat when adversities of life try to sink us down.” 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0