Day 60: The GREEN Mountain State! - Seattle to Maine - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2023

Day 60: The GREEN Mountain State!

Schroon, NY to Brandon, VT

It’s the Green Mountain State because it rains…, but it did not rain on us after we left the Blue Ridge Motel at 10:00 am. That was a pleasant surprise. 

The ride started on scenic Highway 9 south and then turned east on to Highway 74 near Eagle Lakes. We were supposed to have a dirt cutoff on River Road following the Schroon River but it was closed due to a culvert washout. Probably taking the paved road was quicker but less scenic. New Yorker got hammered like VT this summer, and we expect some reroutes or one lane roads like we encountered a bit in NY. 


The day seemed like a quick one, and maybe that was because we had lots of variations in roads and sights. We took the seven minute ferry in Fort Ticonderoga and then entered VT. The traffic went from busy, shoulderless, and wet pavement to dirt roads and dairy farms. I really enjoyed the gravel, and Mike did not veto my route even though there was some class four riding…


Today we will encounter more dirt and lots of steep…bring it! We are getting our climbing legs back for the Sierra Foothills. 


Team Bean 

Ticonderoga Ferry to Vermont. Lake Champlain not so clear after all the rains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Five bucks each for cyclists.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Vermont has an abundance of gravel roads that are well maintained.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Class 4 county road, travel at your own risk the sign says!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice to stay off the busier paved roads.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Got milk?
Heart 1 Comment 0

Stats

  1. Cribbage Game Wins: Mike 13, Dawn 9
  2. Tortillas Eaten: Mike 170, Dawn 54
  3. Jars of Peanut Butter: 6
  4. Flats: Dawn 2, Mike 1
  5. Bike Haters: 4 (We had our first one in Montana yesterday.) None in North Dakota that we know of. 
  6. We may have had some bike haters in Canada…not sure; they do it in a polite way…
  7. Bags of  Salad Consumed: 27
  8. Dog Encounters: 2
  9. Beers, too many to count
  10. Bags of M&M’s: 5 of various sizes
  11. Fritos: 11 of various sizes 
  12.  Bear Encounters: 1
  13. Major Inclement Weather Episode: 1

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 4,009 miles (6,452 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0