Day 23, 24, and 25 - Seattle to Maine - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2023 to July 11, 2023

Day 23, 24, and 25

Randomness

Hello from Terry, Montana!  I have not blogged in a few days because we have had some big days, some weather, and some adventures!  Therefore, the days have ended with being too tired to blog.  Anyway, I have decided to just put some random items, info and thoughts from the past few days into this entry. Read what you like.

The Yellowstone River: We have been following the Yellowstone River since Livingston which was the day we left Bozeman.  The Yellowstone runs through the Yellowstone Valley - which has extremely diverse scenery, and begins in Yellowstone National Park and flows north to Livingston and then northeast eventually meeting up with the Missouri River. However, its significance lies in that Clark from the Lewis and Clark expedition explored this river when he and Lewis split up to do further separate exploration on their return trip east after following the Missouri and Columbia Rivers from the East to the Pacific Ocean.  It has been educational and eye opening to follow some of Clark’s route on our bikes, and I have enjoyed visiting various site and reading interpretive signs. 

The Yellowstone
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Yellowstone
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Big Float: While we were in the town of Big Timber getting supplies at the local grocery, I asked the cashier why the town was so quite at 3:00 pm, and he told me that everyone was participating in the Big Float (Yellowstone Float or Boat Float)which was a big party on the water floating from Livingston to Reed Point, a 20 mile paddle, float, etc. Hundreds participate in The Big Float to commemorate a time when there was a threat of damming the Yellowstone and people protested by putting hundreds of boats on the river; at least that was what the cashier said, and I kind of like that story.  But, maybe it just a three-day drunk fest…who knows, but we did see some folks still hanging around the takeout in Reed Point when we rolled by, and some participant said that he was surprised no one died; not from a river safety standpoint, but by the amount of partying and drinking that happened the night before.  Anyway, I am glad that we were not riding by the previous day as we may have stayed to enjoy the festivities.  There were food trucks and camping on someone’s lawn.  You got to love Montana; there seem to be fewer rules that make things a bit easier and a little more adventuresome - people do seem less uptight than say Californians…however, maybe some tighter regulations could be healthier for Montanans. By the way, the Yellowstone is the longest undammed river in the U.S.

Water: We wound up having a long day on Monday because we decided not to stay in Hysham; it was already going to be an eighty-four mile day, but after learning that the water in the entire town was non potable, we added on thirty miles to get to Forsyth. Hysham’s water treatment plant has had many failures and the entire town is advised not to drink the water.  The only reason we found out about it was because our waitress at the only cafe in town told us about it when Mike asked for tap water after she brought me bottled water.  She stated she was not allowed to do that, and then we found out the reason.  Since we were going to suffer in the heat of the town park with no shower, and no potable water as our campsite for the evening, (We would have to buy it at the only store in town, a Cenex .) we were like we can suffer in the heat for another 30 miles.  Anyway, fewer regulations are a double edged sword.  

Weather: We have had pretty good weather on this trip, the occasional thunder storm over a pass; however, both in Billings, Hysham and today in Terry, we experienced the power of unpredictable weather.  Two nights in a row, we experienced the sudden thunder storm that rolled in quickly and brought extreme winds.  We were lucky the tent was still standing when we were at the Billings KOA.  We sent up the tent with the idea that it could rain, but we didn’t stake it out for gale force winds.  While we were in the pool at 8:50 pm, the attendant said we only had ten more minutes before the pool was closed, but we didn’t need that warning.  The wind suddenly picked up and it was lightening.  The kids in the pool started to yell, not because of the weather but because of the acrid cow manure smell that wafted in from the local fertilizer plant; it was kind of funny. Our tent was fine. Last night we experienced the same kind of weather; it is teaching us to be prepared for last minute weather changes and to constantly check on the weather.  Today was the same, but the warnings came late as we did not see that there was extreme weather coming into the vicinity in which we were staying.  Well, the winds materialized but not the tornado.  Luckily, we were in town before the winds picked up and we are staying at a hotel tonight, so we don’t have to deal with inclement weather at a campground.  A sherif did let us know that we shouldn’t be on the roads, and he was relieved that we only had to ride across the street from the market to the hotel.  We were happy too.  

The Storm
Heart 1 Comment 0
The calm before the storm.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Grasshoppers:  There are thousands.  While riding behind Mike, it is like he is Mosses parting the sea of grasshoppers.  They like to pelt us in the head; I don’t enjoy that.  I thought we would be leaving them behind when we had to get on Interstate 94 today, but no!  They were still there along with all the tire debris.  So, we had both.  I do think I would take the grasshoppers on the frontage roads over the tire shards on the freeway.  While on the freeway, Mike picked up a piece of wire from a truck tire.  Thank goodness it didn’t go flat until we were off the Interstate and in a neighborhood with shade.  Now Mike knows he is mortal…

People: We have been meeting so many people; today it was outside the Albertson’s while eating lunch, and two days ago it was on the road.  We met a guy who was walking/running across America.  It turned out that he was from California and a town not so far from where we live.  Again, I am amazed at how small the world seems to be at times.  

Noah
Heart 0 Comment 0

Scenery: You will have to see the pictures for this; something is breathtaking each day.  A friend asked me if Mike and I have some kind of communication device while we are riding to talk, and we do not.  There is a lot of “What did you say?” and “I can’t hear you!” We do try and ride pretty closely, but we can go a really long time without talking because there is so much to take in, and the scenery is one thing, but then there is just observing how others live, thinking about the past/present/future, watching the road and one’s surrounding for safety, and taking in the history through interpretive signs, parks and monuments.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Pompey’s Pillar: Yesterday, even though it was a long day, we still had time to stop at a national monument.  Pompey’s Pillar is a rock that William Clark inscribed his name and a bunch of other stuff - some long quote about the rock being a good place for a vista.  Anyway, its significance is that the inscription is the only known physical evidence of the Lewis and Clark expedition.  We really enjoyed the visitor center and now I really want to read more about these intrepid explorers and history of the time period.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

This is why we do it: So, hopefully, you are getting an understanding of why we bike tour.  It’s the cultures, people, scenery, history, problem solving, the unknown, and the new experiences.  

So, it is time to say good night because tomorrow is dinosaur day!

Team Bean

Tour Stats

  1. Cribbage Game Wins: Mike 5, Dawn 6
  2. Tortillas Eaten: Mike 58, Dawn 24
  3. Jars of Peanut Butter: 4
  4. Flats: Dawn 2, Mike 1
  5. Bike Haters: 4 (We had our first one in Montana yesterday.)
  6. Bags of  Salad Consumed: 10
  7. Dog Encounters: 2

Today's ride: 276 miles (444 km)
Total: 1,505 miles (2,422 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Ed CraftI love reading about your adventure! Brings back memories. If you want to know more about Lewis and Clark, I recommend “Undaunted Courage,” by Stephen Ambrose. I bought the book in Yellowstone, and couldn’t put it down. (It has since been donated to a library.)
As for lack of potable water, that happened to me twice - both in California. Once the entire city of Mount Shasta had no potable water, and the health dept shut down all the restaurants! The second was last year at a campground in Big Sur. It happens, and adds to the adventure! Glad you are somewhat avoiding the severe weather!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Barbara AsheLove reading your blog and following your adventure. Where are the stats for number of beers consumed?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Cindy PatrinellisHey Dawn! It has been fun following your adventure. Thanks for sharing! All is well on the home front …
Reply to this comment
9 months ago