Day 11: Colville to Panhandle CG (18 ish miles from Ione) - Seattle to Maine - CycleBlaze

June 27, 2023

Day 11: Colville to Panhandle CG (18 ish miles from Ione)

Perspectives

Barn, Ship, or Star Wars Sandcrawler?
Heart 3 Comment 0

We have passed through a few towns over the last few days that really offer up a view of the rural Northwest with it diversities. Traveling by bike really affords one the opportunity to see how others live, getting a view from the outside, both literally and figuratively. Honestly, some towns make me uncomfortable. It’s a combination of feeling like an outsider which can be a valid feeling or just perceiving it that way. Talking with people and giving them a chance to understand us a bit better, and us them, is one little act that helps. So, we try and do that as much as possible; we have had meaningful and superficial conversations, but we made a connection. 

Talking can really break the barrier. I have noticed Mike making that effort quite a bit to subtly tell others that we ride bikes but we’re not selfish, entitled a’holes . Some drivers don’t like us on the roads, and I ask myself why. Is it they are afraid we will put them in danger when they have to move over a bit, or is it that they perceive us as a nuisance impeding their forward momentum, or could it be that they view us as selfish and entitled? Let’s face it- some cyclists do create a bad name for the rest when they are not courteous: they might ride abreast or not pull over. 

Anyway, a trip like this seems like a good opportunity to be an ambassador for the bike community but also an ambassador for humans…I am trying to be less quick to judge and observe from various perspectives. 

About the ride:
Tuesday’s ride was really pleasant: peaceful backroads, enjoyable climbing, and fast paced flats along  the Pend Oreille River. We did escape the day’s thunderstorm, but Hermon and Kristiana, the Germans, were not so lucky. We saw our bike tourist group a few times, and they ended up at the same campground. Each time we have departed camps in the morning we say goodbye like it might be the last time we see them. However, I think the goodbyes will be for real today or tomorrow as the four are headed to Glacier whereas we are not. With that said? We might just see Peter and David again in North Dakota ads we will be on the same route again. There have been chats about North Dakota, and no one is fully looking forward to the long prairie days. 

Lastly, my day ended with a highlight of swimming in the river. I love that!  The mosquitos did force us into our tents at about 8:30 pm, and good thing because the rains came after a thunder and lightning storm. It did bring cool sleeping weather with it…It is all how you look at it- perspectives. 

Road Views
Heart 1 Comment 0
Scenery
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from Ione
Heart 2 Comment 0
Panhandle Campground Swim
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from our camp
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tent Site
Heart 2 Comment 0



Until tomorrow,

Team Bean

Tour Stats

  1. Cribbage Game Wins: Mike 4, Dawn 2
  2. Tortillas Eaten: Mike 16,  Dawn 9
  3. Jars of Peanut Butter: 1
  4. Flats: Dawn 1
  5. Bike Haters: 2
  6. Bags of  Salad Consumed: 6

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 537 miles (864 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0