Day 39: Touring Chisos Basin - Southwest U.S. Coast-to-Coast 2012 - CycleBlaze

April 4, 2012

Day 39: Touring Chisos Basin

46F overnight. Not bad for 5200 feet elevation. The temperature rose quickly after the sun rose above the mountains at 8:15.

I went to the Window trailhead at 10:10. The trailhead is in the campground. The trail goes gradual downhill for 2.5 miles to the Window. The landscape is fairly lush because the runoff from a large area is concentrated there.

Near the start of the Window View trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Window View trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The last couple hundred yards of the trail is on slickrock. Storm runoff washes away the soil and scours the rocks smooth. The slickrock drops off at the Window, dropping about 400 feet to the desert below.

Photos don't really capture the dropoff because a tall rocky pinnacle is straight across from the Window. You only have a partial view of the desert below.

The trail ends abruptly at the Window.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

I hiked all the way up to the restaurant for lunch, arriving at 1 PM. Afterwards I took pictures at the main Window overlook. It's very near the lodge, restaurant, store, and the main "high Chisos" trailhead.

View from the Window Overlook near the store.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Telephoto view from the Window overlook.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The window overlook also has an unobstructed view of the high Chisos to the south. That area is forested, and I could clearly see 7825 foot Emory Peak. I've hiked to the peak twice before.

The high Chisos mountains are mostly forested. 7825 foot Emory peak is the highest peak in the Chisos mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I spent most of the afternoon relaxing at the campsite. I charged batteries, sewed a button, and sat in the shade of my covered picnic table. Late in the afternoon I went back up to the restaurant for dinner.

Casa Grande and the rising moon a few minutes before sunset.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Unfortunately the cactus is only just starting to bloom. I seem to be 2 weeks early for the peak cactus flowers. A Claret Cup cactus is blooming at my campsite but the prickly pear, yucca, and agave aren't blooming yet.

Claret cup cactus at my campsite.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThe Claret Cup cactus are pretty with the red/orange flowers!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Big Bend is in the midst of a huge cactus die-off thanks to the double-whammy of drought and cold. 2011 had only 2.5 inches of rain and 5 freakishly cold nights in February had temperatures near 0F (-18C). A year later the cactus still hasn't recovered.

Today had a high of 76F. It's nice to be above 5000 feet elevation. Down at the river, Rio Grande Village and Castolon had highs of 90F. I'm glad I aborted the detour to Castolon and Santa Elena Canyon.

Distance: 1.6 mi. (2.5 km)

Climbing: 283 ft. (86 m)

Average Speed: 6.5 mph (10.4 km/h)

Hiking: 6 mi. (9.6 km)

Today's ride: 2 miles (3 km)
Total: 2,027 miles (3,262 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0