Day 29: To White City - Southwest U.S. Coast-to-Coast 2012 - CycleBlaze

March 25, 2012

Day 29: To White City

I got away from the motel in Artesia at 9:35, pretty late. Sunny with a bit of a headwind going south on US 285. The road is a 4-lane divided highway with light traffic.

Drilling rig near Artesia.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Many oil trucks passed me on the highway. I could often smell the crude oil when the trucks went by. Pump jacks and storage tanks were a regular sight along both sides of the highway.

Oil pump jacks.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trend was slightly downhill from Artesia to Carlsbad. I'm following the Pecos river downstream, but never close enough to see it. The desert was quite sparse. Mostly just widely spaced creosote bushes.

US 285 between Artesia and Carlsbad.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I had lunch in Carlsbad. It's about twice the size of Artesia and is a more diversified town. The economy seems to be equal parts oil, ranching, mining, and tourism.

During the day I passed dozens of billboards advertising the concession businesses at Carlsbad Caverns. Restaurants, gift shop, etc.

Some of the dozens of Carlsbad Caverns billboards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some billboards aren't very compelling. The last flashbulb was probably sold in 1980.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The route from Carlsbad to White City is steady uphill, gaining 600 feet elevation in 20 miles. Still a 4-lane divided highway with a low traffic density that doesn't seem to justify a 4-lane road. After lunch the south headwind was quite strong, about 20 mph. I arrived in White City just before 5 PM. The temperature was 91F.

White City is the gateway community to Carlsbad Caverns National Park. It's not really a town, just a collection of motels and restaurants that all appear to be struggling. Perhaps most visitors prefer the big town conveniences of Carlsbad 20 miles away. The campground was mostly empty. The motels seemed to be mostly empty. The only store closes at 6 PM. At least the campground has nice showers and my $20 campsite is on irrigated grass.

Storm brewing over White City, New Mexico.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Clouds were building as I arrived. At 6 PM a storm cell passed through, with high winds but only a few drops of rain. Sand blew through my tent for a few minutes but it was calm later in the evening. Traffic noise was obnoxious at my campsite even though US 285 is 1/4 mile away.

White City is conveniently located but is woefully lacking in charm.

Distance: 60 mi. (96 km)

Climbing: 1183 ft. (358 m)

Average Speed: 11.1 mph (17.8 km/h)

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 1,588 miles (2,556 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0