Day 28: To Artesia - Southwest U.S. Coast-to-Coast 2012 - CycleBlaze

March 24, 2012

Day 28: To Artesia

Today is a long but easy day. Almost all downhill, descending more than 5000 feet to Artesia at 3540 feet elevation.

I had a free breakfast burrito at the restaurant. The expensive room has fringe benefits. On the road at 9:38, as the chill in the air started to lift.

About a mile down the road I passed the Cloudcroft ski area. Last winter had much less snow than normal and the ski area never opened. That was devastating to local businesses that depend on winter visitors to the ski area. The snow was extremely deep exactly one year ago.

Cloudcroft ski area never opened this winter because the snow wasn't deep enough.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezI wondered with the ongoing drought, how the ski area has been doing. It is closed this year. Wiki says that it is open intermittently, because of lack of snow in the area.

There is a ski area west of Durango, Hesperus. I had never heard of it and was surprised when I bicycled past. I googled them right now - also closed.

Several of the resorts in our area have already announced they will be staying open later in the spring because of good snow this year. There's always a contest going on to see who stays open latest and opens first. Arapahoe is a small area near Denver that usually wins the honors.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

The descent follows a drainage for many miles. The bottom of the valley is mostly pastures. The slopes are mostly forested. As I descend the valley gets wider and the slopes become less forested.

Forested descent from Cloudcroft.
Heart 1 Comment 0
US 82 along the Peñasco river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After 40 miles the forested slopes give way to desert. Then I pedaled 50 miles across the desert with no shade whatsoever. Gently rolling hills at first, but the last 20 miles is totally flat.

Back to the desert. Back to the heat.
Heart 0 Comment 0

With the exception of a roadside fruit stand there are no services between Cloudcroft and Artesia.

Totally flat horizon. The only available shade is in the middle of an ocean of asphalt.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I'm now in the Permian Basin, a flat ancient sea bed that extends 200 miles southeast into west Texas. It contains some of the world's richest oil deposits.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Straight and flat in the Permian basin.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Artesia was a surprise to me. I didn't pass any oil wells coming in from the west. But coming into town I passed several ostentatious oil company corporate headquarters. It's not exactly a wealthy town, but it seems to be doing well.

Oil is pretty much the only industry in Artesia. I stopped to admire the huge sculpture in the downtown park. Very dramatic, but it seemed odd that the sculpture is surrounded by water fountains. Maybe the fountains are meant to evoke oil gushing out of the ground. Whatever it means, this town is proud of its oil heritage.

Oilfield sculpture at the park in downtown Artesia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Artesia.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I got a $61 room at Budget Inn. The weather was pleasant for camping but there was no decent place to tent camp, just RV parks close to a busy highway. The temperature was 88F when I arrived at 5 PM. Warmest day so far...

Today had the fastest average speed of the tour because it was mostly downhill. The longest day of the tour was one of the easiest days.

Distance: 95.3 mi. (152 km)

Climbing: 585 ft. (177 m)

Average Speed: 17.5 mph (28 km/h) !!!

Today's ride: 95 miles (153 km)
Total: 1,528 miles (2,459 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Kelly Iniguez95 flat miles is still on the far edge of my fun zone. Far, far edge.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Wayne Estes95 miles at 17.5 miles per hour is a riding time of only 5 hours, 26 minutes.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Wayne EstesTo Kelly IniguezIt wasn't flat. It was a net elevation drop of about 4000 feet.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezTo Wayne EstesAh, I was looking at your 585 feet of climbing. I didn't see a notation on descent. There's slightly downhill, and then there's really downhill . . . I have had very few days over 90 miles. It's a psychological barrier for me.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Wayne EstesTo Kelly IniguezI you go to this region I think you should go northeast from Alamogordo and cross the mountains at Ruidoso. It's several hundred feet higher than Cloudcroft, but I think the grade is more gentle. Then you would descend to Clovis which is closer to home than Artesia.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Wayne EstesTo Kelly IniguezI meant to say end in Roswell, not Clovis.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kelly IniguezJan is buying a Tour Easy. She says specifically so we can tour together. I asked her what that would look like in her opinion. When we did our little four day tour together this Thanksgiving, she let it be known that organized tours with SAG support are by far her preference. She sidestepped my question by saying she had to ride the bike first. I'm interested in a big something in the spring - I just don't know what. Spring is a doubtful time to tour. The weather is more unsettled. But, I'm always so ready to ride once it starts warming up!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago